MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Networking, how to connect 2 computers via ethernet?
abekita
post Tue 12 Jul 2005, 09:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,940

Bonjour to everyone! I have my old G3/233 OS 9 and my new-old G4/450DP OS X Panther. I want to share files between two of them, I tried to connect thru the ethernet with the ethernet cable but they don't see each other. Later I discovered that a special crossover cable is needed, but then I would have to connect and disconnect computers all the time cause I want to read macmusic.org sometimes. If I buy a hub do I still need this crossover cable or it will work with the normal ones? Or will it be a good idea if both computers share one external HD as a file server? Sorry for stupid questions - looks simple but I couldn't find right answers on the net, TIA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vsmith1
post Tue 12 Jul 2005, 14:43
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,496

Yes, you are best to get a hub, or even better a switch. A switch will provide better performance, which is not as relevant with two machines, but as you add more then it is better. You will also find it useful to combine the functions of a switch with a router and either a broadband modem (either cable or ADSL). Then you can share the internet connection between all the machines. This router/switch can also have its own firewall to protect you machines.

The external HDD can be shared by one machine to which it is physically attached to the other machine. This is easier to do by attaching the drive to the G4 and sharing it from OSX. YOu can also share a printer that is physically attached to the G4 to the other machines.

Hope that this helps
Vince
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Welcome Guest
Contribute
Lo-Fi Version - Thu 19 Sep 2024, 21:29
- © PcMusic 1997-2007