MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vocal Production
dubster
post Tue 31 May 2005, 13:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,311

Hello,
I'm getting OK results recording vocals in pro-tools using a good condeser mike with compression and EQ, but i'm just not happy with it. I've been listening to a lot of really good vocal production of people with great, and not so great, voices such as Sufjan Stevens, Alice in Chains, A Perfect Circle, Neil Young, but it s not happening on my recordings.
Anyone got good techniques, effects chains, favourite effects etc?
Favourite vocalists?
Cheers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coldharbour
post Tue 31 May 2005, 14:31
Post #2

Member No.: 62,351

This is an interesting issue.

From my experience I can say a good vocal recording consists of 95% great vocal talent, 3% recording situation atmosphere and 2% technical stuff.

Red Hot Chili Peppers for instance have used a lot of cheap Shure dynamic mics to record their vocals. It's not the gear, it's what lies beneath.

This post has been edited by coldharbour: Tue 31 May 2005, 14:32

+Quote Post
dubster
post Fri 3 Jun 2005, 14:51
Post #3

Thenks for your reply,
I've gotta say though that i read an interview with the Peppers' producer on Californication ( Rick Rubin? Could be wrong) in which he bitched about Anthonys voice and claimed he had to comp almost every word....can't be that bad cos they sound awesome live....
I found a very useful set of articles on the digidesign website about vox production. I agree that without an excellent performance to begin with there is little you can do, but for my style of music i'm happy to drench the vocal in effects. It seems impossible, though, on a modest system like mine (G4 with protools 002) to lay down the 30 odd vocal tracks the pros talk about. Heres my setup since posting this question which is working much better; Mike-preamp-waves renaissance vox-bus to stereo- L1 Ultramaximizer- waves Q4 EQ- Desser.
This is still far from ideal but after layering a couple o tracks it sounds pretty cool. Cutting frequencies that conflict with the vocal
formant range has also made a difference.
This was all a lot easier when i sucked!!
Cheers

+Quote Post
Nels
post Fri 3 Jun 2005, 16:18
Post #4

Member No.: 25,398

dubster,

If you're saturating the vocal track(s) with reverb and/or other effects, that's one reason why you might be ill content with what you're hearing. One technique that thickens things a bit is to record 2 tracks of the same phrasing, in unison, individually. Then pan 1 to a quarter left and the other to a quarter right. You can make it even thicker if you add more bass to 1 and less bass to the other, effects to 1, leaving the other somewhat dry, etc.. Another 3rd track with pan/center can be added, in which case you'd hard pan the othersHave Fun! L/R.
Shouldn't do this with every song though, as it will start to sound redundant.

And remember that in most cases, less is way, way more.

Nels

+Quote Post
Jsegura
post Fri 3 Jun 2005, 19:27
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 60,731

You must use the best microphone than you can be allowed, if possible of valves and great diaphragm. Pre and the compressor also is very important. If they can be of valves, better. Once you have the recorded voice, tune it with Melodyne. After insert Renaissance Vox of Waves. EQ of Wave, URS or Tritone Digital, and Doubler of Waves, Space designer... etc.

Good luck

This post has been edited by Jsegura: Fri 3 Jun 2005, 19:31

+Quote Post
Nels
post Fri 3 Jun 2005, 19:47
Post #6

Member No.: 25,398

Actually, a Shure 57 or 58(or the like) w/ just a bit of compression will get you great results......

The performance is first and utmost, the main ingredient. A clear, undistorted level while recording is second ..and then the rest follows. The better the performance and initial track/recording, the less you'll need to color(add effects).

Condenser Mics are great, but not neccessary. Especially, if you're on a lower budget

Cheers! rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Nels: Fri 3 Jun 2005, 19:48

+Quote Post
dubster
post Sun 5 Jun 2005, 12:17
Post #7

Thanks for all the tips, i'm happy with the initial recording as far as performance/mikes/preamps go, its more about getting the vocal track to fit into the mix which is tricky in my case cos i tend to have a big stereo sound. I'm happy to process the sound a lot because it suits my music, i think it just takes hours tinkering with eq to get it all fitting together.
As for reverb, it just doesnt work for my sound. If anyone has heard Sufjan Stevens Michigan or Illinois stuff thats the kind of thing i'm looking for vocal wise, but very different music. I guess practice makes perfect to use a horrible cliche! In future i will compose with the vocal track in mind instead of adding it at the end

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 28 Apr 2024, 11:18
- © 440 Forums 2011