MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Os9 - The Dead Horse, Making the upgrade
chunky
post Fri 6 May 2005, 04:26
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 59,590

Running PTLE 5.2.1 on G4 450 Tower, MBOX interface. It would seem that OS9 has reached it's demise as far as support, upgrades, and available software. Got my mini pod for Xmas and I can't even use it with iTunes til I upgrade to OSX. blink.gif So I guess it's time. However will I have to upgrade PT as well as all my current plug-ins? Is my MBOX compatible with OSX and PTLE 6.? upgrades? I've been putting this off forever for fear of ultimately losing my OS9 work as well as my mind. I'm tempted to blow some ching and just get the 1.24G mini at this point and start anew but if I loaded 5.2.1 PT on it, would it work?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coldharbour
post Fri 6 May 2005, 08:01
Post #2

Member No.: 62,351

MBOX works with OS X but you'll have to obtain a OS X version of the PT software, it won't run under Classic, and you'll have to upgrade all plug-ins as well.

It may feel like a big step, but it has to be done sometime and once you move onto OS X and get things running you'll never want to go back to OS9, trust me.

OS X Tiger is just out and all new machines are shipped with it, but it seems not all programs and plug-ins are 100% compatible with it so before making your move you might want to do some research and possibly wait a while for the latest updates.

+Quote Post
ourmanflinty
post Fri 6 May 2005, 12:00
Post #3

Member No.: 48,982

I'd wait until Digidesign qualify Tiger for use with Mbox etc, watch the digidesign.com site.
You'll need a newer version of software, 6 or whatever, the latest if you can get it off the digi website. You will be entitled to a free version of 6 software, everyone was I believe but maybe not the latest.
There's a lot of cool features in OSX digi software, you may spend quite a bit upgrading your plugs though.

You do know that your Mac will boot to OSX and OS9 at your discretion? Upgrading to X does not mean that you can't re-boot back into OS9 and use all that OS9 goodness....

--------------------
Simon Flinn
Install & Support Eng, Maintenance, Analog & Digi Electronics
Dist/Dlr background, Fast & Friendly, London & SE Based.
freelance studio support click here

+Quote Post
ETNJ
post Fri 6 May 2005, 12:49
Post #4

Member No.: 64,403

it will take some time and money, I think between PTLE 5 and 6 there's a 70dollar fee to upgrade but once you get savy in OSX you will kick yourself for not having done it sooner...plus you dont want to get too far behind the leading edge...
ET

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 11 Jun 2024, 23:30
- © MacMusic 1997-2008