MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Notation/midi Sequencer/audio Editing
post Mon 18 Apr 2005, 03:04
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

In case this question is asked frequently, my apologies in advance.
I'm on an eMac G4 with 1 GB memory.

Currently researching and seeking info on a combination notation program with MIDI sequencing and audio editing capabilities - such as the ability to combine digital audio and MIDI. I'm basically familiar with the Finale family but would like more info on available options. I understand that ProTools is for film scoring and would like to know more about Logic - any suggestions and info welcome.

Thanks for your time!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adrian Delso
post Mon 18 Apr 2005, 09:49
Post #2

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 36,390

Here is what Dr Andrea Pejrolo says in his overview of four leading software sequencers, from his excellent "Creative Sequencing Techniques for Music Production", Focal Press, 2005:

ProTools 6.2.2 (Digidesign) Very reliable; solid audio editor; solid mixing features; easy learning curve; Mac and PC, BUT basic MIDI features and supports Digidesign interfaces only.

Logic Pro 6.4.2 (Apple, was Emagic) Most advanced editing; advanced score editor; stable; customisable, works with loads of interfaces, BUT steep learning curve (he ain't kidding!), unconventional terminology and shortcuts; time-consuming to configure; Mac only;

Cubase SX 2.2 (Steinberg) Intuitive interface; advanced score editor; advanced MIDI; Mac and PC; BUT could be more stable; audio editing could be improved (I think he means plug-ins aren't as good as e.g. Logic)

Digital Performer 4.12 (Mark of the Unicorn) Clear graphic interface; great MIDI features; fairly easy learning curve; "musical" approach; BUT score editor needs improvement; track list window limited; could be more stable; needs a powerful computer for a high number of tracks; Mac only.

From what you say about your needs, I would suggest either Cubase or Logic, depending on your computer. You may find that the Cubase LE and Logic Express versions are adequate and will be about one-third the price!

Hope this helps,

Adrian

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Mon 18 Apr 2005, 14:22
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,003

I like Metro 6 . Pretty good bang for the buck. They do have a free demo download available, and a dedicated forum for support. I have had no problems running external hardware (althogh I am partial to the MOTU line of products.)

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Welcome Guest
Contribute
Lo-Fi Version - Wed 17 Jul 2024, 20:24
- © PcMusic 1997-2007