MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logic Pro7 Academic, Upgrading academic versions
zeebee
post Wed 11 May 2005, 08:41
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,561

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to upgrade Logic Pro 7 academic version.. heard conflicting stories.. Apple says no (or at least one guy told me) Other people I have heard say yes.. Anyone have personal experience?

Thanks .... Zb
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
td3k
post Wed 11 May 2005, 13:45
Post #2

Member No.: 16,354

No upgrade path from LP or LE 6.4 to 7.1
The Academic price for LP and LE is $299 and $99 respectively, which is the same as retail upgrade. I guess thats why they don't offer upgrade pricing.

I suppose the up-side (if you can call it that) is that, if you get another copy of Logic, you still have your 6.4 to run on another computer...

--------------------

+Quote Post
arvidtp
post Wed 11 May 2005, 16:01
Post #3

Member No.: 12,850

not sure i understand. The apple store for education has logic 6 -> 7 upgrades, they are just the same price as the commercial ones. They should be cheaper but they aren't. At least though, they stopped selling the logic 4 to 7 upgrade for like $700 on the education site, right next to the full version 7 for $500! Who would be silly enough to fall for that if they were entitled to educational pricing? hahaha

I wouldn't mind upgrading my logic Pro 6.4 - but can you not buy the upgrade if you bought the academic version? That would be weird. I assume u can, you just dont get any special price on it.

While I am on it - if you buy a LP 7 upgrade now, does it include 7.1? It should in my book, but does it?

This post has been edited by arvidtp: Wed 11 May 2005, 16:02

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••

+Quote Post
zeebee
post Wed 11 May 2005, 20:23
Post #4

Member No.: 65,561

Ok here is the deal.. I have not yet bought logic Pro 7 academic.. A friend told me not to buy because I will not be able to upgrade it when Logic 8 comes out and a guy at the apple store phone order told me it will not be upgradable, but heres the thing I read some posts elsewhere that a few people had upgraded.. They ignored the warning and tried it anyway and it worked.. Now I do not if this is improper or not but I do no feel to buy this if it is not upgradable. I might just buy the full version...

here are the posts I read:

1. One tech at apple assured me that I'd have to pay alot more (to upgrade from Logic Pro 6 edu vs regular). He was mistaken. I finally persuaded him to let me speak with someone else. Ended up buying the regular Logic 7 Pro upgrade and had no troubles.

2.Hi, I've just -nervously!- bought the normal upgrade to 7, having also been told by Apple Care that I could NOT upgrade from my Logic Pro Education version. There were no problems, the only thing that may be different from others is that the startup window of my lovely new / version says 'academic', which makes me feel at home. So there, Apple Care.

3. I can confirm that.
We bought Logic Pro 6 here at work (in a university), then upgraded to Logic Pro 7 at the standard upgrade price, so it's

So I am just doing a bit more research before buying anything...

Peace out

+Quote Post
Riverdog
post Sat 14 May 2005, 08:04
Post #5

Member No.: 38,439

I think some of the confusion with the upgrade is also that all versions before Logic 7 have been EMAGIC LOGIC...
It could be that Apple 'allowed' the upgrades between 6 and 7 to get people to move off the old Emagic platformed Logic into the "Apple" version 7...

As for 7.1 - There's a link at the Logic discussion area of the Apple site for a 19.95 upgrade for Logic Pro 7 users to Logic Pro "7.1"...
Supposed to have some interesting enhancements in it so it should be interesting...
I should have it in a week or so...

We'll see how that works if there is a 7.1.x update thorugh "Software Updates" and if people using 7.x updates can get further updating...

Riverdog

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 1 Jun 2024, 11:32
- © MacMusic 1997-2008