MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Audio Units Vs Vst (mac Vs Pc?), long term direction for virtual synths
Seth
post Mon 14 Mar 2005, 18:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,097

[Couldn't find existing recent posting on this topic - hope this isn't redundant]

As a long-term Mac user, I'm a little unsettled by the apparent drift towards a VST/PC-centric support model for virtual synths. I see several new players in the audio/midi sequencing market on the PC (e.g., FL Studio, Synapse/Orion) that support VST and some indications that newer virtual synths may be targeting VST/PC.

Somebody tell me that there's nothing to worry about - that audio units on the Mac will be around "for ever". I'm thinking about getting some more Native Instruments synths (have their Absynth plus Spectrasonics' Atmosphere) but beginning to wonder about direction over the long haul. Stick with DP now that I'm finally getting the hang of it? Or, horrors, consider switching the music stuff to my highly capable PC, now just serving time as a game player.

Seth
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coldharbour
post Mon 14 Mar 2005, 21:36
Post #2

Member No.: 62,351

Considering that there is even a VST to AU -converter available for end users it's probably very easy for software authors to port PC VST software to OS X as Audio Units if they wish to do so. In addition, 99% of high-end professional audio studios that use VA have Macintosh systems, thus I wouldn't worry about it too much.

This post has been edited by coldharbour: Mon 14 Mar 2005, 21:54

+Quote Post
vank
post Tue 15 Mar 2005, 03:29
Post #3

Member No.: 58,786

Good point!!

I have a similar feeling, that companies are drifting toward pc...The question to ask is why because
there are 2 opposing matters if you ask me. The one in favor of pc is obviously the number of pc users around and the other matter is the fact that pc software is pirated like no other platform (Which I do hate since I've got people coming into the studio telling me they've got exactly the same plugs I use but they got 'm for free...) Obviously this is undermining us mac users making a living with our beloved machines. In a way I feel this is unfair competition but then I guess this is another topic huh?!

A little advice from me regarding switching is this...great records were made for decades without the technology we have today. Missing out on a couple of plugins isn't going to cause your music to be any worse (The same as that great records don't come from the latest and greatest hard/software) Stick with what you know is prolly gonna yield much better results smile.gif

Peace Vank!

+Quote Post
citypigeon
post Tue 15 Mar 2005, 15:04
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 60,699

is this really such a pc vs mac issue ? vsts can be used on the mac just as well as PC - its the individual pluggins and host programs that are or aren't mac compatable - synthology ivory is currently mac only but is AU AND VST ..... and RTAS i think.... which is another dual platform pluggin format...... in fact its just logic that is causing the most problems for mac users since logic is one of the best reasons for having a mac and only supports AU (and TDM for the elite)

i don't have a problem with the fact that more stuff is developed for PC than mac.... the best stuff nearly always gets on the mac eventually so as long as you're not desperate to get hold of the latest and least tested software theres no real problem

dont worry about it... it'll all be fine

+Quote Post
Seth
post Tue 15 Mar 2005, 23:13
Post #5

Member No.: 20,097

Thanks to all for your responses. I'm feeling better already! And quite agree with notion that working with what you have (and can use effectively) is probably better than continuously searching for that elusive plug-in/synth/what-have-you that will provide catharsis for some musical breakthrough. A focus on the new toys can drain energy from actual creativity. Though some of these new toys are a lot of fun...

Seth

+Quote Post
acousmod
post Fri 25 Mar 2005, 18:20
Post #6

Member No.: 62,984

... and a little suggestion : why don't use Mac AND PC ?
Some cheap PC like the mini PC can give excellent performances and open a world of nice hosts and plugins...
That's what I do...

+Quote Post
coldharbour
post Fri 25 Mar 2005, 23:32
Post #7

Member No.: 62,351

QUOTE (acousmod @ Mar 25 2005, 17:20)
... and a little suggestion : why don't use Mac AND PC ?
Some cheap PC like the mini PC can give excellent performances and open a world of nice hosts and plugins...
That's what I do...

Heretic! wink.gif

Seriously speaking, I don't feel like I'm missing anything from PC. If there's some genious killer apps or plugs for audio that aren't available for Mac, I don't know what they are.

+Quote Post
acousmod
post Sat 26 Mar 2005, 00:29
Post #8

Member No.: 62,984

hmmmm...
I certainly don't want to start a debate on this subject, but, if you want to know... yes, there is.

Some hosts : EnergyXT, Podium, Audiomulch, FL Studio too (and all cheap), and the plugins are really too much to say.
Look at the KVR site if you have some time.

Personnaly, I'm happy to benefit of the two "worlds", and I don't like religion wars and fanaticism (which always begin with ignorance).

A focus on the new toys can drain energy from actual creativity.

You're right.
But some times, they can also stimulate the imagination...

Cheers.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Welcome Guest
Contribute
Lo-Fi Version - Sun 9 Jun 2024, 18:56
- © PcMusic 1997-2007