MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advice for a Newbie, advice for a newbie
post Wed 10 Apr 2002, 06:00
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

I'm a recent convert from PC Land. One of the reasons I switched is because everyone says that Macs are better for recording music. So how the heck do I get started doing that? What are the basics that I need? I have an iMac G3 600 MHz 256MB w/ a 40GB hd and CDRW, and a guitar. I want a fairly basic setup, with (of course) minimal expense for hardware.

Thanks
jer
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Wed 10 Apr 2002, 21:01
Post #2

Group:
Member No.: 0

I forgot to mention that I'm running OS X.

jer

+Quote Post
geedoubleyou
post Sat 13 Apr 2002, 00:42
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,293

OSX app are just now starting to come on the scene, Ableton's Live is the only multitracker released that supports OSX.

Support has been announced for Bias Deck3.5, Logic, and Cubase. Hopefully we'll see product before the year is over.

OSX.01 was just released in January, it was the first version to contain the audio and midi components.

The big issue is hardware support, MOTU and M-Audio/Midiman have new drivers in place.

All plugins must be re-coded, because they are relatively small applications new versions are starting to show up. But we are still waiting for Native Instruments and Waves to announce support.

OS9 works fine NOW, if you want to get started. Just dont buy out of production hardware. Because OSX support may, or may not happen.
smile.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
Meno6
post Sat 10 Aug 2002, 23:24
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,744

Geedoubleyou,

I'm in the same situation as Indigojer. Thanks for the info. Does that mean that OS X.01 doesn't require an additional OMS? And where would I look in OS X.01 to see what kind of midi stuff is on there?

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 11 Aug 2002, 04:37
Post #5

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

OS X.1 contains part (usable aldready) of midicore and audiocore. But you have to wait X.2 the 24/08 to have full midicore and audiocore, and the apps have begun to come by…

Check the audio midi set up pannel… that's the one wink.gif (but unfinished for now (in 2 weeks…) cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 08:40
- © MacMusic 1997-2008