MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OS9.2 iBook oddity with MIDIsport interface, iBook recognizes Midisport 2x2 but won't talk to it...
post Fri 14 Jun 2002, 00:54
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

Hi folks:

I have used Performer 6.03 on iMac with good results for several years.  I recently started to transition to an iBook, and have run into trouble.

My studio consists of: Midisport 2x2 interface, Korg 05R/W sound module, Korg M1 controller, and Tascam Mixpad.  The hookups are pretty basic: 05R/W and M1 both go in and out of the interface (4 connections total).  Audio cables from 05R/W to mixpad (headphones), USB cable from interface to iBook port.

So far the following seem to work fine:
* OMS (latest version) - studio setup recognized Midisport and sound module;
* Performer - loads OMS studio happily;
* M1 - sends signals to interface (In-A light responds).

Here is what does not work:
* When a multi-track song is played in Performer, it fails to send a program change signal to the 05R/W, nor does it appear to be sending any type of signal for that matter: the In-B and Out-B (to which the 05R/W is connected) lights on the interface do not indicate any signal, nor does the MIDI light on the front of the 05R/W.

After checking product FAQs online, I spoke with the folks at Performer, who thought it was an interface issue.  The folks at Midiman feel it is a computer issue.  I agree... since the computer is the newcomer!

I downloaded the floppy enabler (as recommended by Opcode) and also discarded one of the superfluous driver files from the System folder (also recommended by Opcode) - no effect.

Throwing everything away and doing a clean start-over (Install OMS, reboot, install Midisport driver, reboot, shut down, connect USB, reboot, configure OMS studio - the procedure suggested by the Midiman team - again sans succès...

Any tips of leads on this matter would be extremely helpful!

Thanks,

Ric
Tennessee
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Fri 14 Jun 2002, 21:50
Post #2

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,082

its amazing some of the 'off the wall' and sometimes just 'silly' advice that support for some of these companies give out when they have no clue what else to tell you. I have a quick $50 that says floppy enabler extension would never have anything to do with midi especially if the midi app has been installed already. Maybe if you couldn't install it and needed to use floppy authorization and considering you actually had a floppy drive to use then it might help.

Did you run the test in OMS to see if each port was sending signals to instruments or not? Also, make sure the right ports are selected. I have always just used this test and if I got sound out of one of my midi sound modules then I knew it was setup correctly. Also, which system are you running on the ibook? If you are working in OS9 but have OSX on the ibook too... that may be part of the problem. I have had some problems with certain apps that would not even work when booted in OS9 if OSX was installed. Also, try to make sure to boot from OS9 and don't rely on using classic mode from OSX if installed. Hope that helps.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
post Fri 14 Jun 2002, 22:11
Post #3

Group:
Member No.: 0

Thanks for the pointers. I will check the ports.

I have been using OS 9.2.2 as the startup (Performer folks said it won't run on X). Is removing X as simple as trashing its corresponding system folder?

I did run the studio test in OMS - with peculiar results: the 05R/W module does not respond immediately, as if there is a delay. The MIDI light on the 05R/W and the Out-B light on the Midiman (05R/W) both jump together.

Also weird: Today when I trimmed down the extensions a bit I found that all 16 tracks are actually open. After pressing 'play' in Performer, what I got was a delayed program bank change on the 05R/W (5 secs), followed by sporadic notes with occasional polyphony and full effects. When I stopped the sweeper, the notes continued. When I exited Performer, everything sped up and finished up to where the sweeper was when I closed the file.

Any ideas?....?..?......?..

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 15 Jun 2002, 01:45
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

If you want to remove X (that has nothing to do with your story) trashing won't do.

To disinstall X you have to erase the partition (that is: reformat)

How I found that ?

I had X.04 installed, I threw it away so nothing visible on the drive.

I installed X.1 from the update cd… like a charm… the drive was empty but the drive was still 'blessed' as they say. It was still supposed to have a X on.

And I recovered even the users I created on X.04 smile.gif

THAT's what I call an EMPTY drive wink.gif

For me something is wrong in the couple DP/OMS… Have you/can you try with FreeMIDI only…?

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
damann
post Sun 16 Jun 2002, 05:20
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,044

lepetitmartien has to be right here.
this sounds like a classic 'software conflict'
i don't refer to the classic environment, i mean perennial!
oms sounds like the culprit, it's ancient, in my experience it's usually best(when possible) to avoid oms and free midi,but as you use dp, freemidi should be the one that works!
do study the extensions/control panels folders though, plenty problems can start here.
good luck(l.uc.k = labour under correct knowledge).

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 16 Jun 2002, 05:58
Post #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Damman, I'm ALWAYS right…
except when I'm wrong wink.gif

RicinTN, For extensions/control pannels, you can desactivate all you don't need, to a streamlined system, except the ones for midi and QuickTime (systems works better with it on).

Begin with freemidi check if that works, then if you need OMS and only then… switch it on. If you need OMS but only if you need the emulation of OMS 1 you can try OMS emulator. It comes from MOTU but is only faking OMS 1

http://members.cox.net/synths/studio/Downloads.html

If it works, you can switch the extension you 'd want to be on progressively.
But keep fit if possible.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
damann
post Sun 16 Jun 2002, 07:06
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,044

Lepetitmartien, you da mann!
i'm worried about your sleep though, you seem to be as bad as me(only 1 hour difference between our time zones!
my only comment here is that you, as a logic user like me have to be aware that avoiding oms and free midi is the ultimate solution!
i would love your feedback on the new topics i've posted.
stay cool, peace......damann.

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 16 Jun 2002, 07:20
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

I'm a DP user…
But I deeply respect Logic users. (on your point about OMS/Freemidi/logic your 200% right)

But we are OT smile.gif

Now I'm gonna vote now… else I'd be at beeeeeeeeeed

[/OT]

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 9 Jun 2024, 01:30
- © MacMusic 1997-2008