MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Powerbook Output And Input Max/msp
godard
post Sun 26 Sep 2004, 16:52
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 51,866

Hello Forum people,

it's the first time i post since i just started learning the basics of computer music and especially max/msp.

i have some questions and will post them in order so i can be clear:

1) i am using a double socket to output from the powerbook headphones output to a)home speakers and b) to the powerbook input.
could this damage the audio card?
i want to be able to play something in max/msp and write it at the same time in cubase - is that possible?is it possible to use the filters and effects realtime?(without having to record the music first?)

2) as i understand i need a midi controller box to control the parametres in max/msp. please recomend a good and cheap one.

3) i need to control the output -small console with knobs for treble, bass -equalizers.(i always forget the name of this thing).
can i do that at the same time through another software in max/msp?
could you please recomend a small- cheap-good one?

please help i really love max msp and need to move on

p.s any links recomended for masic stuff needed for outputing/performing with a laptop will be much apreciated.

thanks!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nels
post Sun 26 Sep 2004, 17:44
Post #2

Member No.: 25,398

Without getting to technical, you shouldn't use your Powerbooks headphone out for anything, but headphones. ..Sounds like you need an audio/midi interface. Most interfaces will have both optical out and main out, which will allow you to accomplish your goal.

Now, just do a simple google search for home recording and you'll find lots of interesting and helpful reading. ...All your ?'s will be answered.

To get you started, here's a great site with loads of info.

http://homerecording.com/recording.html

Good luck

+Quote Post
godard
post Mon 27 Sep 2004, 00:33
Post #3

Member No.: 51,866

hi Nels,

thanks for the reply. I thought that the powerbook music is beeing sent out fromt he headphone jack. There are no more outputs for the sound..
only 1 input and 1 output.

i also beleive that macs are also advertised for their very good core audio
(which has the headphone jack for output.)

+Quote Post
Nels
post Mon 27 Sep 2004, 01:25
Post #4

Member No.: 25,398

As I said before, you need to do some reading/research on the subjest to first learn the basics.

Core audio is just one of many things you'll learn about.

The link I pointed you to is an excellent resource for beginners and professionals alike.

You should also checkout the "Getting Started" section of this forum. There are many great posts there from good folks, covering much, if not all of what you need to know.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 27 Sep 2004, 15:24
Post #5

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

CoreAudio is the API that developers use as toolbox, it is great feature wise (read: specs) but you should ask a developer on his opinion…

The headphone out is build to be that: a headphone out. I don't know if your out splitting is a good thing, it's certainly not something Apple thought of while designing the computer, but specwise, some sound engineer could tell us if it's a reasonnable thing or not to do so.

Also, this out has the quality from the inside of the coreaudi yes, BUT, it has the reducing quality of its D/A converters, which are ok for basic use (read: listen to his MP3 on itunes) but is certainly not pro standard but the actual rules of sound interfacing in the studio. Any small interface will give a better out (and designed for this) out for other use, the headphone socket it's less sure wink.gif

Of course, you can use the I/Os of the mac as a primary audio interface, but you'll find a better result with any small USB/firewire interface right away. It's only a budget question.

For the controller, brose a little in the forums in getting started and the interface one, you'll see which one are giving trouble, and if they can be solved, there's a lot of thing on the market, it'd be easier to talk about it in its own thread (keep things simple for people to answer you: one question per thread) and other members will be able to help you out nicely and faster.

For the mixer, little Mackie, Allen&Heath and Soundcraft are good, especially if you need the EQs, small Behringer are ok, and seem reliable (you can't say that of everything behringer) but the EQ sound like sh…

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 02:38
- © MacMusic 1997-2008