MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pros/cons - Logic 7 Vs Pro Tools, Pros/Cons - Logic 7 vs Pro Tools
brian777
post Wed 6 Oct 2004, 17:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,639

Hi all,

I am a recently converted MAC user! I just purchased a G4 Powerbook 1.5Ghz, 512Ram etc..

I am debating whether to purchase Logic7 or Pro Tools.

The type of recording I do ..
is anywhere from choreographed productions (eg. Fashion Shows) .. very electronic sounding.. to warm and upclose Singer/Songwriter recordings.

I like the idea of bundled software with ProTools Digi002 ..

1) Can someone inform me of Pros/Cons?
2) If you suggest Logic7 - what audio hardware interface to you suggest?
3) Is it difficult to work across Applications? (I have friends using ProTools)

Thanks!

(I currently use Logic 4.7 on a PC - outdated i know)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shaneblyth
post Thu 7 Oct 2004, 05:51
Post #2

Member No.: 47,017

Have you thought of Digital performer 4.5 it has now got a huge lot of improvments especially for protools and u can use it as a front end evidently which is very sweet
also the other really cool thing is that DP 4.5 has full PDC compenasation across all the busses and auxs as well which logic 7 hasnt even got yet.
you should check it out at Motu.com.
PS they have improved the interface incredibly and I personally think it is going to be one of the easiest to use
Logic 7 is also awesome but just thout the protools and the fulll compenasation ans easier interface might be of interest to at least check it out apart from the lack of that annoying dongle

+Quote Post
jameson
post Thu 7 Oct 2004, 10:26
Post #3

Member No.: 49,802

hi brian

im a logic user, currently on 6 pro and i can deffinatley recomend it over protools for the following reasons:

if your doing electronic type work logic 6 and 7 comes bundled with some great sounding synths and instruments and fx pluggs (7 im lead to believe also has a drum machine) you will also find compatibility problems running other manufactures virtual instruments in protools such as NI products. ive also used cubase vst and sx in the past and find flogic to be a far superior sequencer. there are so many great ways to edit and work with midi with logic, that protools doesn't offer at the moment.

as far as working with audio and recording goes i mix all my tracks in logic and find it easy and effective. ive also done sound design for a few shorts using logic. the fx pluggs that come with logic are good but i also have a uad card. these pluggins are noteably better. The space designer reverb that comes bundled with logic is amazing however, and generally i use that as apposed to real or dream verb off the uad card.

As far as audio interfaces go with logic i can recomend motu products. i have an 828mk2 and have no compatibility problems. it sounds pretty good as well. it could be a good option especially if you have a laptop.

some of my friends running logic use rme gear(digiface and multiface that i know of) and find them equally as compatible, although im not sure about the fireface yet with mac but im sure that it will be in the near future

+Quote Post
TheCatman
post Thu 7 Oct 2004, 11:42
Post #4

Member No.: 32,600

HI there and congratulations on making the switch.
When it comes to Logic S Protools i found that, if you can afford it, getting both is the best idea. I use logic 6, and protools 6.4 le with my digi002 interfaqce.
if your going to record alot of audio than protools is he way to go, and being industry standard, you have the safety of knowing you`lll be compatible with major studios. BUT Logic delives a more complete package with integrated midi and pugins and even guitar amps, however, you need the aditional audio interface (included with ProTools. the digi002R is a 1000$ firewire card with everything you`ll need for years.).

To tell you that one is better than the other in`t really my thing, not being able to function as a human being anymore without both of them at my fingertips smile.gif

But I would have to recomend logic for your needs (singer/songwriter.. right?),
PT being more for recording alot of audio (conserts/studios-thats where I usee it..)..

Good luck with your decision and purchase nomatter what you get. And once again welcome to the best plattform for music smile.gif.

--------------------
@ home:
iBook G4+FastTrack+Logic 7 - Just for fun

in the studio:
Dual G5+PT7LE+Logic 7+Live+Reason - They Get The Job Done

+Quote Post
td3k
post Thu 7 Oct 2004, 14:10
Post #5

Member No.: 16,354

Personally, I use both.(well, Logic 6.4 and PTLE 6.4) For the value of the Digi package, you basically get the hardware interface and the software. When starting out, that can come to a considerable savings. If one opts for Logic Pro 7 and an interface, you are basically looking at an extra $grand or so...

The sequencer and instruments in Logic are top nothch, but for recording and working with audio PT is unbeatable (IMHO). It just depends on how you like to work.

Not to mention, I'm rather bent at Apple/Emagic for the whole Logic7 upgrade shaft. I am a long time Digidesign customer and have never been done like that by Digi.

--------------------

+Quote Post
brian777
post Thu 7 Oct 2004, 17:59
Post #6

Member No.: 52,639

Thanks all for replying .. very helpful.

The advice I have been getting (from posts .. talking to people) seems pretty consistent across the board.

PT - more audio/live recording - industry standard.
Logic - more midi/sequencing/electronic - all-in-one.

The expense of getting Logic AND and an interface is a little daunting .. but .. maybe I can pick up used hardware somewhere .. craigslist or something.

Defineately leaning towards Logic7 at the moment.

How useful is the compatibility of GarageBand with Logic7 - does anyone find this useful? how so?

Thanks again for all the advice!
Brian

+Quote Post
TheCatman
post Thu 7 Oct 2004, 21:04
Post #7

Member No.: 32,600

Personally I think Gb is a nice gesture from apple, but a crappy app. I get delays in GB when recording more than 2 tracks on a brand new iBook G412". but i can record alot of tracks in logic 6 and protools with no such issues. Using GB for scetching would be nice, but my scetches usually contain more than just one track. But if you just need o record some midi and a vocal track its probably fine, and then importing to logic shoud be no prob.

--------------------
@ home:
iBook G4+FastTrack+Logic 7 - Just for fun

in the studio:
Dual G5+PT7LE+Logic 7+Live+Reason - They Get The Job Done

+Quote Post
SupaSandeep
post Thu 7 Oct 2004, 21:21
Post #8

Member No.: 46,384

another thing to take into consideration is if you're goin to be working with other people as well.... i've gotten a lot of people who use pro tools and will want to send me a pro tools session and that is a common scenario for some people, i still prefer logic

+Quote Post
the1134
post Thu 7 Oct 2004, 21:56
Post #9

Member No.: 41,577

I used a Protools Digi 002 rack for about a year. Just sold it.

The 4 mic pre-amps suck and are noisy. No line input level contols 4-8. No Pads.
I really like Protools Software, But LE's 32 track limit always ended up a problem for me.
I also didn't like not being about to use Protools software stand-alone.
I found the for heavy recording it wasn't enough.

I'd go MOTU and Logic and a nice mixer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 3 Jul 2024, 21:30
- © MacMusic 1997-2008