MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More Beginners Help, Which laptop should I buy?
cully
post Sun 18 Jul 2004, 10:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,136

I hope someone can help me because I have spent too many hours looking at too much information, and my head hurts. I am simply buying a mac laptop for my boyfriend for his birthday - he is an electronic musician and that is the reason I am buying it, it is hard for an electronic musician to make music without a good laptop! I know he likes to use Digital Performer, Reaktor, I don't think he uses Pro Tools (though I do video/film making and I would love to use Pro Tools). I've done editing on G4 desktops that had at least 1 GHz CPU, but I haven't used the slower laptops and am not sure about the difference in CPU speeds. I am on a serious budget and have these options: G4 powerbook 500 MHz pretty used or G4 ibook 800 MHz pretty new. I have almost bought the powerbook, but I am worried about all this stuff I am reading about incompatibility with audio programs, etc. I will be maxing out the RAM (the powerbook has room for 1GHz, the ibook 640 MHz I believe) and getting an external Lacie drive. That is for sure. But which computer is faster/better? I don't see any serious musicians out there with ibooks. it's always powerbooks. If you made it through this rambling post, please help!

Also, if neither of these is good enough I could always bite the bullet and find an 867 MHz powerbook.

As a side note, how can you tell whether RAM is quality when you are buying it? Do you have to watch out for anything?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dasa Soul
post Mon 26 Jul 2004, 21:07
Post #2

Member No.: 38,418

more ram or faster processor? http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@...70382@.68978cdc

+Quote Post
aptmunich
post Wed 28 Jul 2004, 15:03
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 40,050

Well I think most musicians have powerbooks, because the ibooks until recently only had g3 processors and since performance is better with the g4, people bought them.

However i think that since the ibook is now only slightly slower than the powerbook, and both use g4's that this point is no longer valid. Sure the powerbooks are still faster, but most users will be ok with an ibook.

I'd definetly go for the 800 mhz ibook g4 over the 500 mhz powerbook...

the most current ibook g4's have a 1ghz processor though...(12")
Or see if you can buy a refurbed previous model powerbook at apple (either 867Mhz or 1 Ghz, see the refurb area at apple.com/store for offers)

anyway, good luck and i'm sure your b/f will love the present... to even things out in the battle of the sexes, I just got my g/f an ipod mini smile.gif

+Quote Post
Presto
post Sat 14 Aug 2004, 15:15
Post #4

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,984

I'd love to know what happened. Your bf is a lucky man smile.gif

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post
cully
post Mon 16 Aug 2004, 00:39
Post #5

Member No.: 47,136

Thanks to everyone! I did give in and spend more money and buy an 867 MHz 12" powerbook. I just kept thinking about him trying to do music, and I've tried to use Final Cut Pro on slower comptuers, and I know how frustrating it can be to just not have a fast enough computer. So since then he has basically been attached permanently to his computer. He already has cubase, reason, peak and a couple other programs I believe.
And since then, I have also bought a powerbook - a 12" 1 GHz. So now we look like a cute, spoiled couple. I love it.
Jared's now on this site, checking stuff out. I think his username is rephlexy22.
Thanks again to all!

+Quote Post
Presto
post Mon 16 Aug 2004, 09:39
Post #6

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,984

Sounds like an improved Barbarella wink.gif An old film where couples made love through a machine hooked up to their brains. They got the thrill without erm well, you know.

In the new improved Cully/Jared version, the woman sends a film signal and the man responds with music. With the portable mac version you can even do it outside in the shade of a tree. I can think of nice options but I've never tried them with my artist g/f who spent 2 years learning how to switch on my old macs. The emac is a new challenge for her as the button is difficult to find if your partner doesn't guide your hand. She must have a mac libido problem - fortunately not the usual one wink.gif

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post
Riverdog
post Thu 26 Aug 2004, 05:04
Post #7

Member No.: 38,439

Good Job Cully!!!

I'm glad you saved abd pushed just a little further...
There are many advantages to the unit you bought your boyfriend...
I'm using a 1Ghz 12" PowerBook with Logic Audio Pro 6 and am very pleased with the results...

Buying a PB over an iBook is a good choice for serious mucisians...
My son just purchased his first 800Mhz G4 12" iBook (yeeeaaahhh!)...
I can tell you from experience, My PB IS INDEED faster...
And it's not just processor speed we're talking about...
We have evenly matched units with 512Megabytes of Ram each...
But, the PB still has a faster Bus which comes out in smoother operation and more tracks for audio programs...

Congrats - And If you're boyfriend ever dumps you/?????!!!!!........
(Just kidding!)...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 6 Jul 2024, 20:53
- © MacMusic 1997-2008