MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ableton Live 4
Ziggomatic
post Wed 28 Jul 2004, 05:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,955

Hi everyone. i was thinking of buying Logic 6 but i just finish to test the Ableton Live 4 and i'm like "wow!!!". This software looks awesome but i want to know your opinions guys. Should i buyLogic 6 or Live 4? Its a lil than the half of the price so.... hehehe

thanx!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nreyes
post Wed 28 Jul 2004, 12:34
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 33,075

Depends what you will be using it for.

Live was (and still is) a tool aimed mostly at live performance / arrangements (despite the new midi features, functionality & controls).

If you aim to produce music by loop-based manipulation etc., you can do quite a lot with Live, but if you want some serious editing capability, Logic or other audio editing/sequencer packages will probably be your best bet.

+Quote Post
joesolo
post Wed 28 Jul 2004, 17:42
Post #3

Member No.: 18,826

I STRONGLY recommend you go with MOTU DP4.

+Quote Post
sethjacquay
post Wed 28 Jul 2004, 21:02
Post #4

Member No.: 35,039

Depends on your needs...

I love Live 4 and just upgraded from Live 3.
It is great for quickly editing audio and midi
ideas and has nice built in Reason support.
I most appreciate the recent addition of midi
and Audio Units. Those were the two things
on my wish list for Live 3 and Ableton delivered
beautifully.

If you don't have a Killer Mac and I mean
KILLER = Dual 1 Ghz G4 and 1 GB RAM as a minimum.
I would not recommend DP 4 as it is rather resource
intensive, but to its credit it really does has a TON of features.

I can't recommend logic as I have never used it.

--------------------
Ableton Live 4.1
Reason 3
Mac OS 10.3.8
G5 Dual 1.8 Ghz 2 GB RAM 160 HD
EzQuest 120 GB 7200 Firewire HD
EzQuest 200 GB 7200 Firewire HD - Pro Audio
M-Audio Firewire 410 (driver 1.4.3)
Behringer B1 Microphone (2x)
Behringer HPS3000 Headphones
Yamaha DX-11 going through a MidiMate XP (Midi to USB adapter)

+Quote Post
stink
post Thu 29 Jul 2004, 10:15
Post #5

Member No.: 34,141

Logic Audio is the best MIDI sequencer on the market, hands down (the steep learning curve is sooo worth it in the long run)

Live 4 is still the best audio editing app (and Live 4 is sooooo worth upgrading to) but it lacks alot of the MIDI features compared to ANY sequencer ...especially Logic

summery: both are amazing products but apples and oranges ...get both?

+Quote Post
mthomashow
post Thu 29 Jul 2004, 12:55
Post #6

Member No.: 23,022

I use both Live 4 and Logic Pro. I am fairly new to digital audio recording, but I've been around music a long time. I really like both programs. I staretd with Live and then picked up Logic.

I don't use loops much and I don't perform live with computers so I don't fit the streotyped profile of the LIVE user. But I do like to improvise.

If you are new to DAW's I highly recommend LIVE. It is much easier to use right away. It has a great deal of music making power. And if you need deeper editing functions you can always buy an editor. If you are mainly audio oriented, LIVE may be perfect, allowing now for some MIDI work, too.

What's great about LOGIC PRO is the incredible array of plug-ins and soft synths. It is harder to learn and harder to remember how to use, but with patience and practice you figure things out. There is no question that it provides great depth of possibilities.

What I love most about LOGIC PRO are the soft synths. For the type of music I play, the EVD 6 and EVP 88 are unsurpassed. LOGIC PRO has a veritable encylcopedia of virtual synths and neat effects.

If I had to choose only one, I would choose LIVE simply because I am reasonably well equipped with hardware synths, it's cheaper, it's easier to learn, and it's great to improvise with.

If you expect to spend alot of time doing deep editing or intiricate MIDI work, and if you want a studios worth of plug-ins, and if you have the patience to stick with it, LOGIC PRO may be a better choice.

Again, I started with LIVE so that's my bias for a newcomer.

But either way you can't go wrong as they are both great programs and I am glad I have both.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 14 May 2024, 20:19
- © MacMusic 1997-2008