MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Motu???, MOTU ?'s and an MBox Rant
Lord Pasty
post Mon 5 Jul 2004, 19:47
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,075

Am I going crazy, or does Reason actually take up my two inputs in Pro Tools on my MBox? I think so. That p*sses me off, big time.

And while Pro Tools is okay software, much like everybody else has said around here, DAMN it's limited. Well, it's not limited as software, but it's not compatible with poo.

So, now I'm looking at Logic (broken record, I know), and the MOTU hardware. The MOTU hardware looks REALLY cool.

Alas. All I want to do is use my Korg for samples-beats-synth, record some vocals, maybe some guitar, and fill the rest in with Reason. It doesn't seem so much to ask in the vast digital world of today. Just when I get back to writing music it all looks so good until I actually go out and start spending money.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
arvidtp
post Tue 6 Jul 2004, 04:21
Post #2

Member No.: 12,850

yep, it does if you start it first. Best to rewire it into Pro TOols.

But you look like you are in the same place as me - and are looking at the same stuff. I was thinking maybe get an old workhorse MOTU 828 original on ebay for cheap and logic pro... But do I want to spent the $$?

I feel the same way.

PS - what is the lowest latency you can get with an old 828? I do performances, so I would like to know. I like having 64 samples like the internal card. THe mbox just doesn't cut it at 512!

This post has been edited by arvidtp: Tue 6 Jul 2004, 04:24

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••

+Quote Post
Panopticon
post Tue 6 Jul 2004, 13:42
Post #3

Member No.: 33,943

I'm not postitive about the old 828, as I use the 828mkII, but it does 64 samples.

BTW, the 828mkII is the best investment I've ever made for my personal studio. And if you buy the new MOTU hardware, you can get DP4 upgrade from audiodesk (which is included with the hardware) for $329. Not too shabby.

+Quote Post
Lord Pasty
post Wed 7 Jul 2004, 00:31
Post #4

Rookie

>yep, it does if you start it first. Best to rewire it into Pro TOols.

Erm... It seems to take up the inputs refardless. When I open a new track and try to set up the inputs it still says that they are in use? Maybe I'm just not too brite. smile.gif

>But you look like you are in the same place as me - and are looking >at the same stuff. I was thinking maybe get an old workhorse MOTU >828 original on ebay for cheap and logic pro... But do I want to spent >the $$?

MOTU seems to be getting high marks from everybody! I've always thought they seemed very powerful, especially for the price. They're on Musician's Friend for under 800 bucks. Try getting that many in's from Digi for that money! Right?

>BTW, the 828mkII is the best investment I've ever made for my >personal studio. And if you buy the new MOTU hardware, you can get >DP4 upgrade from audiodesk (which is included with the hardware) >for $329. Not too shabby.

Damn. That sounds great, but I've heard that DP4 is a little sluggish on a G4. That counts us iMac G4 and PowerBook users out!

+Quote Post
arvidtp
post Wed 7 Jul 2004, 02:03
Post #5

Member No.: 12,850

ok, try this: Make a new PT session, on a stereo AUx track, select the plug-in for Reason rewire under instruments (in PT 6.4). Reason should start as a rewire slave to Pro TOols. its outputs will go into that Aux track and hence into your Pro Tools session. MIDI can be routed to reason by selecting a reason instrument as an output for a MIDI track. And other audio outs from Reason (you can do up to 64) can go into Pro Tools as mono or multi-mono plugins on separate tracks if you need to have them separate in PT for mixing/bouncing. Good luck.

This post has been edited by arvidtp: Wed 7 Jul 2004, 02:04

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••

+Quote Post
Lord Pasty
post Wed 7 Jul 2004, 02:28
Post #6

Rookie

Many thanks, Arvid. I never thought of using an Aux track. I'd been able to sequence w/PT with Reason ReWired, but this makes things easier...

Now if I can only get rid of PT. =)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Welcome Guest
Contribute
Lo-Fi Version - Thu 13 Jun 2024, 12:48
- © PcMusic 1997-2007