MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How-to? Alesis Qs8.1 + M-audio 410, A basic question from a Newbie!
Tripper
post Sat 12 Jun 2004, 01:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,753

Hello!

This is probably the lamest question ever...
but I just bought an M-audio Firewire 410 and I am trying to get it hooked up to my Alesis Qs8.1 so that I can begin to record with Logic Express.

I set up the Midi In/Out from the keyboard to the Firewire and Logic Express recognizes the Midi Data from the keyboard if I hit the keys....
And I have it set to MultiTimbral....and all that.
***However, I hear no sound***

I would like to hear the sounds of my Alesis Qs8.1 through the M-Audio. (I have headphones attached to the M-audio) How do I get the Alesis sounds to record as Midi AND hear them?

Does this mean that I have to connect the "audio out" of the Alesis to the "audio in" of the 410?
I hope someone understands what I'm trying to accomplish.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Jon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 12 Jun 2004, 05:49
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Uh...

laugh.gif

(sorry)(couldn't resist...)

Well you confuse (and your not the first nor the ast one) MIDI which is a way to convey information like note number, time, velocity, volume, etc etc. And audio which are the sounds made by the synth in your case according to the MIDI data. Your setup allows you to (if you hooked up the Alesis and the interface by 2 MIDI leads, one for QS to Mac traffic, the over for Mac to QS traffic) record into Logic or play sound from some soft synth in your mac, using the QS as a controler. Or replay this data from Logic on the QS.

But if you want to hear your QS, you have to link it from his audio out to the audio ins of the card then route it to some speakers, or to a little mixer then to monitors.

Don't confuse MIDI (digital data about a lot of things, but its only a description) and audio which is the result thrua device that can translate the MIDI data into sounds.

No shame for you, it's a common misunderstanding. Now make some noise! biggrin.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Tripper
post Sat 12 Jun 2004, 10:34
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,753

Thank You.
I was pretty sure that this was the case...I'm not a totalally dumb...just about 90% dumb.

Do you think I should route the audio of the Alesis to my Firewire 410 and monitor it from that? I'm assuming this is what most people would to...

Or would they just plug the headphones into the Alesis?

Jon

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 15:20
- © 440 Forums 2011