MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Mac to buy, Mac Purchase
post Fri 15 Feb 2002, 18:31
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

Hello all...

I'm somewhat new to harddisk recording. I had been using a pc with an old version of cubase, and quite frankly I'm suprised that I have survived the experience! I want to go with a G4 733 with 512 of ram and 40gigs of harddrive. Would the G4 800 with the L3 cache be worth the extra bread? For a soundcard I was going to get the delta 44..I have a mackie CR1606 for a board. Also I was going to use performer for my audio/midi software. Will the audio gods smile on me if I go with this system? Help!! I need some advice!

Thanks..

Alta56
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Sat 16 Feb 2002, 19:28
Post #2

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,082

My advice is too always buy the fastest CPU you can afford unless the slower is a REALLY GREAT DEAL. Having the fastest means just that much longer you will have your computer before you feel the need to upgrade again because its too slow. Any G4 you get though... you should consider buying an external firewire drive (7200 RPM) for you audio work. You will get more tracks to work with and better recording and playback from the hard drive. DP 3 is nice choice for recording. Its the only app I would consider instead of the ProTools I use. I am not real sure about the delta 44 card though. You may want to consider M-audio card but stay away from Soundblaster. Best thing is to call Sweetwater.com and talk to a rep about this killer system you are putting together and they will help determine what will work best. They have great customer service.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
post Sat 16 Feb 2002, 21:56
Post #3

Group:
Member No.: 0

Thank you synthetic tone!!

Yeah, I tried a soundblaster live, and it caused my bloodpressure to skyrocket!
I'll check out the M-audio as well as the Sweetwater reps...Again, I do appreciate advice from you guys who have gone through 'the learning curve'!

Alta56

+Quote Post
geedoubleyou
post Mon 18 Feb 2002, 21:33
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,293

Actually go for a fast internal IDE for a second drive.

The current Firewire drives use an IDE to firewire bridge.
You get better performance with straight IDE. But the Firewire drives are great for portability.

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 1 May 2024, 16:25
- © MacMusic 1997-2008