MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to set up a basic studio on iMac?
SpenceMckay
post Fri 7 Dec 2001, 09:25
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,801

I currently have a 500Mhz iMac DV running OS9.2. I want to set up a basic yet somewhat powerful studio. I was thinking along the lines of MicroLogic AV with the plugins of the sampler and synth. The EMI 2/6 and a MidiMan ''Oxygen 8''25 key USB keyboard. Will the stock soundcard be suffice for now as I can't afford the MOTU 828 nor in this application think it's warranted. I would love some seasoned opinions. Something proven. I 'm trying to create really deep dubby house. How would I sample all of these great vinyl records I have with the iMac. I don't see where the sound quality would matter in this case to bad. It shouldn't be too terrible. All I wanna do is get a few demos together and shop them around. Thanks in advance. Spence
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Fri 7 Dec 2001, 14:19
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,003

Hi Soulpease.  I'm using an iMac 350 indigo,and here is what I've done.
First off I have a Behringer 16 track mixer.  At this point I'm gonna say this is the most important part of my setup.  I have my stereo hooked into it, so if I want to sample something I can (records, 8 tracks, cassettes, CDs, radio). I also have both synths hooked up to it, leaving me plenty of room to hook up guests when the pop in.  Now then  i run every thing into the mixer, then to the computer.  This solves all hiss problems that would occor normally (without mixer).  I have the stock sound card, and see no reason to change it.  I use Metro 5 for the recording/midi part of it, and am completely satified.  All in all, an  inexpencive studio, that records hi quality, editable sounds.  Complete with CD burner (of course)!

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
pinball
post Sat 8 Dec 2001, 22:54
Post #3

Member No.: 2,483

Hi there.Interesting to see what you guys have been using to make your IMacs turned into 'recording studios'
Myself I use an old 333 rev D, OS 8.6 mainly to record my Roland TD-6 drums and some b-guitar. I have a Behringer MX-602 mixer hooked up to it (wish I had that 16 tracks of yours k-chuck) and my stereo. Along with that i`ve been using the entry-level Metro 5 SE or a prog. called Sound Sculptor. So far everything have been working ok , but now I,ve been thinking of adding a keyboard to the set , and I think I need to step up a notch. I have been fiddling around a bit with Pro Tools Free nice prog. But way too much latency for recording drums. Also tried Bias Deck 2.7, really sweet , but my budget is tight so it was a bit too much for me at the moment. So k-chuck how is that big brother Metro 5 ? If you keep in mind that I`m mainly going to use it for audio, and soulpeace whats that Oxygen USB keyboard ? Can I use it to control a soft ware synth? Regards.

--------------------
Demo

+Quote Post
SpenceMckay
post Sun 9 Dec 2001, 22:44
Post #4

Member No.: 3,801

Yeah the link is http://www.midiman.net It looks to be a nice controller

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Mon 10 Dec 2001, 00:54
Post #5

Advanced Member

So far I have no compaints about Metro 5. I use it primarily for audio recording, and have not explored the rest of the program. I just need to get more ram! I can only do about 10 tracks before I run out of memory and have to mix down.

--------------------
kaboombahchuck

+Quote Post
pinball
post Mon 10 Dec 2001, 09:51
Post #6

Ok, soulpeace thanks for the link. K-chuck ,how much ram are you giving it? How`s the manual for the prog? The one I got with SE was a bit 'thin`'. And that QuickHelp system included 'inside' the prog, well I`m still trying to make it work, with the assistans of Cakewalk support. Is QuickHelp working in your Metro5 ? Thanx

--------------------
Demo

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Mon 10 Dec 2001, 10:10
Post #7

Advanced Member

Hi pinball.  The only manual for Metro 5 came in the form of a pdf.  I guess thats better than nothing.  Yes QuickHelp works on the program.  I don't know......manuals and the like usually confuse me, as does the Metro 5 pdf and QuickHelp.  I've been just figuring it out as I go, seems to work better for me that way! cool.gif
Oh I almost forgot, I'm running 198 megs of ram.  Thinkng of changing the 64 meg card out for a 256 meg card.  That sould do it!

--------------------
kaboombahchuck

+Quote Post
pinball
post Mon 10 Dec 2001, 12:50
Post #8

Yes, it`s funny thats the way I`m doing it too. Trial and error! Anyway thanx for helping me out!

--------------------
Demo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 30 Apr 2024, 17:50
- © MacMusic 1997-2008