MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Digi 002r/power Supply Noise/powerbook G4, Anyone seen this before?
ronfinch
post Mon 2 Feb 2004, 19:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,760

Hi all,
I recently (this morning..!) bought a digi 002r after using logic for a long time (+motu 828 recently..) Ive read about power supply noise issues with (I think) the digi 002R and the G5's - I have encountered the same thing with my 12' powerbook (40gig/640mb/OS X 10.2.8). the digi 002r sounds fine... until I plug the power supply in... then lots of noise...! I downloaded CHUD tools, disable Nap, and that has helped a bit (its probably bearable now (not really what I was after with a new £900 audio interface though..!) I know the 12" powerbook is 'untested' according to digidesign, the few shops I spoke to all said it'll work fine wih my powerbook.... Does anyone know anything about this? It sounds like some kind of earth thing (not really an electrrician), any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Aaron
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
psilocybenine
post Sat 7 Feb 2004, 22:58
Post #2

Member No.: 22,311

I have the same set up... 12" Powerbook 867 G4... everything works great on my end... no problems to report... I run Panther by the way too...

On a side note though does anyone know where i could find a flow chart of the internals of the 002r??? digidesign doesn't seem to have it on there site and i would love to print out a nice copy and paste it to the top for reference... a complete one though that describes even the insert functions... thanks

+Quote Post
ronfinch
post Sat 7 Feb 2004, 23:16
Post #3

Member No.: 34,760

Hi,
Thanks for letting me know... After trying everything else (!)... (really), the laptop is going off to get serviced on Monday - I was worried about a compatibility issue (like Ive read about with some with the G5's). I think it must be a grounding issue within the powerbook...
Havent seen the chart you mention, by the way - if I do I'll let you know....
aaron

+Quote Post
FAChiro1
post Thu 4 Mar 2004, 01:10
Post #4

Member No.: 37,596

These noise issue when the power supply is plugged in are referred to as ground loop problems. I have experienced them with my pc notebook and it has been an experience trying to get rid of th e problem. I was hoping that Mac would not have the problem as the result of superior shielding. I hoipe this is only an isolated issue becuase I have considered getting a powerbook.

With pc notebooks, there are a few solutions. One is to use a three to two prong adapter to eliminate the ground, but that can be potentially dangerous. I've heard that using a DI box can help. Some people have had some success using a Ground Loop isolater, which is a device you can get at Radio Shack.

+Quote Post
divan
post Thu 4 Mar 2004, 08:07
Post #5

Rookie

Member No.: 37,222

i cant refer to the digi002r. but with my G3PB333 (lombard) i also have this problem with power supply noise. the power supply of my PB is this little black rectangled thing. one day i tried using a newer power supply (the round one, shipped with the G3PB400 (pismo)), voila - hissing noises were gone...

--------------------
-dv-

+Quote Post
The_Circle
post Sat 13 Mar 2004, 01:27
Post #6

Member No.: 38,251

Hey Aaron,i had the same problem-digi002 with mac G5 osx and apparently the problem was the (ground thing!) if you got a ground connection to the power supply which is connected to your computer and the digi002,the noise will be gone,tried it before.

+Quote Post
SimplyComplicate...
post Tue 23 Mar 2004, 07:07
Post #7

Member No.: 39,150

hey guys, how did you find the combination of the powerbook with the 002? ive just bought a 1.33 G4 PB and i purchased it with the intention of using it with the 002. obviously a better solution for the price would be to buy a better desktop to run it, though i prefer the powerbook for its portability.

cheers!

Dylan

+Quote Post
psilocybenine
post Thu 25 Mar 2004, 08:26
Post #8

Member No.: 22,311

honestly, Powerbook G4's are PERFECT for the 002/002r's. They have about the same processing and memory bandwidth as the desktops minus the graphics and pci expansion ability that isn't necessary in a NATIVE protools setup that is the 002/r. Powerbooks aren't "technically" supported by Digidesign but Digi is uptight and it works fine. The only downside is the hard drive. It is recommended by just about everyone important to digital audio that you have a drive @ 7200 rpm's and a seek time less than 7.9ms (i'm not positive about the seek time... could it be under 8.2?) to record live audio. You can do this by opting for an external firewire drive or grabbing the most expenisive internal at the apple store.

+Quote Post
SimplyComplicate...
post Thu 25 Mar 2004, 10:35
Post #9

Member No.: 39,150

hahah exactly what i was hoping and that was just what i was thinking about the hard drive.

champion effort! thanks so very much for your reply

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 12 Jun 2024, 22:43
- © 440 Forums 2011