MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dp4 And Recording Audio Via Usb Interface, i cant get a signal,help!!!!!
dtl1232
post Mon 29 Mar 2004, 16:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,882

heres my setup: i book g3/500mghtz
m-audio mobile pre usb interface
audio technica mic

heres my problem: i am new to dp4 and i cant get a signal when i am trying to record a vocal track.i know the interfaces of pro tools cubase and deck but this is alot more intense like logic im sure.i have my hardware configured correctly so the input and output are showing mobile pre as selected then i hit the record arrow but no VU meter light or anything.also if i import audio, how do i get it to be on an audio track? in pro tools for example you have the tracks under each other with the waveforms showing as you record and edit,how do i get dp4 to do this? i opened up soundbites and saw the waveforms of the audio i imported, but in order to playback any of it i have to highlight it then it plays but i want to put it on a track and put vocals with it,help!!! i dont mean to sound like a complete retard,i just dont know this interface.thanks in advance for replying and explaining like i'm 5 years old blink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
destroyw
post Mon 29 Mar 2004, 19:14
Post #2

Member No.: 26,165

ok, you have a few things to check for record enabling tracks. sounds like you have your card set up correctly(via the hardware setup). you should go to cuemix console and find which ever inputs you want to use..make sure they aren't muted and that the volume is up. now go back to dp4 and press shift-s to open up the sequence editor...pick the audio track you want to use and next to the green(enabled) triangle there's a cirlce. press it to enable the track to record. this should be the set up you need.

as for importing soundbites...press shift-b and that will open the soundbites window. in the soundbites menu select import audio...once it's loaded you can scroll over the furthest left side of the audio track and drag it to the open sequence track. keep in mind you can only drag a stereo audio file to a stereo sequence track(vice versa for mono). also the imported audio has to match the same bit depth(16, 24) other wise upon importing it'll be crossed out(marked red).

hope this helps.

+Quote Post
dtl1232
post Mon 29 Mar 2004, 19:51
Post #3

Member No.: 38,882

i got the tracks to record vocals thanks.but i still face a couple problems, i still cant get imported audio files to be in with the sequencer track and also, how do i export something when i am done? say, as an aiff to burn a cd? also do you know a really good comprehensive book for dp4? any help from anyone is appreciated

+Quote Post
destroyw
post Mon 29 Mar 2004, 20:02
Post #4

ok, as for the metering i'm assuming you can hear the audio, but you just want to see a meter to get the proper volume. well, with the track enabled press shift-a and that will bring up the audio monitor. scroll throught the list of inputs until you see your record-enabled tracks(usually they show up with a light red hi-lite).

to export a soundbite you just open up the soundbites window(shift-b) and select the correct soundbite then in the soundbite menu go to "export selected soundbites". here you'll be able to choose what format you want...aif to take into itunes or toast or peak(actualy peak or jam will accept sdII slpit stereo files).

+Quote Post
destroyw
post Mon 29 Mar 2004, 20:13
Post #5

"burning a cd" maybe you need me to back up a bit?

if you're at the stage where you have just finished recording all your tracks do the following to "bounce" and then export to your cd burner:

press shift-s to open up the sequence editor. press command-a to select all the tracks. go to the audio menu and select bounce to disk.(keep in mind if you've recorded higher than 16 bit you'll need to through a dithering plugin on your master fader..ie...24/16). in the bounce to disk menu, follow the steps to where you want the sound bite to be saved and it's name. generally it's less confusing to just have it saved and placed in the soundbite's window. from the soundbite window select and export as desired.

+Quote Post
destroyw
post Mon 29 Mar 2004, 20:23
Post #6

Importing audio:

open the soundbite window(shit-b). go to it's menu and select "import audio". find your file and select it and hit "OK, or Enter". once it has imported into the soundbites window you'll have to take and move your mouse over it's name...to the farthest left side of the name are little squiggly lines(they look like waves)....when you pass over those your mouse should change to the hand tool. grab the soundbite and drag it to the sequence editor(stereo soundbites to stereo tracks...and mono soundbites to mono tracks and the sound bites have to match what your projects bit depth is set too 16 or 24).

hope this helps...i'm trying to do all this from memory. smile.gif

+Quote Post
starsnostars
post Tue 30 Mar 2004, 18:54
Post #7

Member No.: 39,789

i just started a new post about this, but could someone possibly explain to me recording from usb in cubase sx?

thanks

mat r

+Quote Post
newrigel
post Tue 30 Mar 2004, 21:53
Post #8

Member No.: 31,796

It's VERY important that you keep your sessions @ the same bit depth and sample rate throughout your work history on your machine that way you don't have to worry about a project not working correctly and you can get right to work instead of convrting things to work in a given project. I can see if your importing a file from the outside of a session but then just converting 1 or 2 files isn't a pain. Make sure when your in the soundbites window that you export the stereo file as an "intrleaved SD2" in the export dialog... that way the file is one stereo track instead of a dual mono stereo track.

--------------------
Take Care,
The Harlinator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 21:59
- © MacMusic 1997-2008