MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ardour Takes DAW Open Source, Music Software
dnigrin
post Wed 4 Feb 2004, 22:27
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,676

For me, function before form any day.... (free doesn't hurt either)

Dan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
_Prokoschnov_
post Wed 31 Mar 2004, 11:48
Post #12

Visitors

Sorry, I read carrefully the ardour web site. And there is no available version for os x.

and when you configure the source code (ardour-0.9beta11.2), you obtain this kind of message :

checking for pkg-config... no
*** The pkg-config script could not be found. Make sure it is
*** in your path, or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable
*** to the full path to pkg-config.
*** Or see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig to get pkg-config.
configure: error: Library requirements (libxml-2.0 >= 2.5) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for pbd
configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for libs

is it possible to get such a configuration package file aimed at os X environnement ?

Thank you for your response...
and sorry for my ugly english...

+Quote Post
beatnik
post Mon 17 May 2004, 11:21
Post #13

Member No.: 29,970

Hi All,

I use pro Tools on a mac and want to run Ardour on Linux (I have and extra x86 machine that I want to make use of). I'm hoping to somehow run Ardour as a network app so that the actual instance is on my mac but the processing is being done on the second machine. I know a simpler way would be to just run a remote X windows session on my mac that displays what's going on on the Linux Ardour box but what I realy want is to have the Ardour on my mac so I can hopefully use Audio Units based plug-ins as well. Maybe what I need to do is run Ardour on both machines and sync them.

Any ideas on how to make this work keeping in mind I want to continue running Pro Tools at the same time not replace it?

+Quote Post
td3k
post Mon 17 May 2004, 19:36
Post #14

Member No.: 16,354

1. Compiling software properly on OS X requires that you install the Devloper Tools disc so you have the correct compilers, gcc ect.

2. Then, as a *nix geek friend once told me: "Config, Make, Make Install... What's so hard that?"

3. Alas, easier said than done, but not impossible.

TD

--------------------

+Quote Post
td3k
post Mon 17 May 2004, 19:55
Post #15

Member No.: 16,354

QUOTE (beatnik @ May 17 2004, 06:21)
I'm hoping to somehow run Ardour as a network app so that the actual instance is on my mac but the processing is being done on the second machine.  I know a simpler way would be to just run a remote X windows session on my mac that displays what's going on on the Linux Ardour box but what I realy want is to have the Ardour on my mac so I can hopefully use Audio Units based plug-ins as well.  Maybe what I need to do is run Ardour on both machines and sync them. 

Any ideas on how to make this work keeping in mind I want to continue running Pro Tools at the same time not replace it?

You definitely will not be able to run an instance of an app from an x86 machine on your Mac. VNC or remote X will be cumbersome, slow and will still not bring the audio in from the other computer. (remote desktop control only)

Your best bet is to sync the other system to PT as a slave via MIDI (to sync start, stop, tempo, ect.) and run the audio into PT. Record in on another track.

If you really just want to use AU's (no AU to RTAS wrapper, TBOMK) with PT why not try running Plouge Bidule. Or skip putting Linux on the x86 box and run Bidule, build yourself a cool environment to slave into PT with VST's AU's ect. I have a laptop set up up like that and I use it as an instrument, it works killer.

Hope that helps
TD

--------------------

+Quote Post
beatnik
post Mon 17 May 2004, 21:19
Post #16

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded Bidule early this morning and played around with it but then I got distracted with Cecilia a gui version of C-sound for OS X. It's very cool for all kinds of Synthesis and fx. Not a sequencer pretty much just a stand alone processor.

I think you're right about just syncing the two machines up and running audio cables between them. I wasn't planning on running the audio though the remote session per se. 10/100 is fast enough to transfer a stereo track so if I can get the audio out from the remote computer to connect to some audio in on the other it is possible with the bandwidth available. Audio is probably the more direct way for realtime interactivity though. I had heard Ardour was ported to Mac but can't seem to locate it.

I also downloaded jack which is supposed to allow me to connect various softwares audio units/vst etc. Not unlike Bidule.

+Quote Post
beatnik
post Wed 17 Nov 2004, 10:57
Post #17

After looking into this more, it looks like the best thing for my set-up is to build the Linux/PC for sample and synth playback. Not for audio. I plan to run midi to the PC from my mac and audio out from the PC into the mac. So, I won't be trying to sync them , yet but instead treating the linux box as a potential synth sampler.

Main question. Does anyone have any favorite synths that will run on Ardour?

+Quote Post
sburt
post Thu 25 Nov 2004, 16:52
Post #18

Member No.: 55,597

I have gotten close to running Ardour in OS X. I found several things when compiling Ardour. For n00bs, make sure you have installed the Developer Tools from Apple (or XCode). You can get it free from Apple's website if you poke around enough. It contains gcc, the c compiler you will need. After running ./configure, find the packages that are "missing." Install fink. Fink is an awesome automated process that downloads and installs cross-platform packages and their prerequisites if available as fink os x ports. You can run fink in the terminal like "fink install packagename." With fink, I got the packages I needed. However, as stated in an earlier post, the current version of osxjacktools does not appear compatible with audacity.

checking for jack >= 0.66.0... Package jack was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `jack.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'jack' found

configure: error: Library requirements (jack >= 0.66.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for gtk_ardour

If anyone discovers a solution to the jack problem, please post it here.

Samuel Burt

+Quote Post
dnigrin
post Thu 25 Nov 2004, 16:55
Post #19

Member No.: 32,676

I'd urge you to not use up too much time in trying to get this to work, as Ardour binaries for OS X, together with a new Jack OS X package, are coming soon.... :-)

Dan

+Quote Post
guttertrash
post Mon 10 Jan 2005, 08:57
Post #20

Member No.: 58,145

does anyone know if jacktools 0.51 is compatible with the currrent ardour binary? i have it running, but when i load jack, ardour wont load.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 2 Jun 2024, 11:27
- © MacMusic 1997-2008