MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pro Tools Or Cubase?, or anyother one??
gdoubleyou
post Wed 21 Apr 2004, 21:14
Post #11

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,002

It should be close to the performance I get on my ancient G4/400.

I'm doing sessions of 32-48 tracks with Logic6. That is with liberal use of the "Freeze" function that frees up CPU.

Also using an external audio drive.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zelen0
post Wed 21 Apr 2004, 21:20
Post #12

Rookie

Member No.: 33,985

What Logic needs is a feature that Cool Edit Pro had back in 1999....

"AUTO FREEZE".

So that while you're doing nothing, it's auto freezing stuff, so you as a user don't have to worry about freezing tracks, and as you make changes, it auto unfreezes sections and re-freezes them..

On the Fly freezing.. they could call it "Icing" a new feature.

I loved that feature... I could mix 64 audio tracks on a 486 DX-100.. and not worry about anything.. it would "auto render" my audio and effects and all of that...

Now THAT would be wicked. It's 2004, why doesn't software have that feature today?!!?? ARRGHHHH

+Quote Post
arvidtp
post Wed 21 Apr 2004, 22:07
Post #13

Member No.: 12,850

agreed! Auto freeze. I was just thinking about that the other day and if there is a reason it didn't exist in the audio world to my knowledge.

Cause there is a lot of downltime in computer recording - setting up mics, tweaking effects/patches, DECIDING wHat to DO, you know. Why not? iMovie does it! - As long as you could turn it off if you wanted.
-Arvid

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••

+Quote Post
fingers
post Wed 5 May 2004, 11:49
Post #14

Member No.: 42,152

Try pro tools - your getting it anyway.

If it's not for you then I would swing towards Logic.

MacIDOL Mac Music Collective

+Quote Post
cruiserman
post Sun 9 May 2004, 19:49
Post #15

Member No.: 42,412

Pro Tools V 6.4 is the very latest and the Apple OSX version is brilliant. Midi has everyting and more than I need and as far as Audio goes, you can't beat it.

However, Everytime you upgrade your Apple OS using the update software feature, you can guarantee there will!! be a problem. so be careful with those OS updates - if it ain't broke leave it as it is!!

Logic Pro, is another story, and I am seriuosly thinking of getting that soon, just take a look at the plugins and power of what you get, it's superb!!!

SO, if you're serious about working as a pro in the music industry get BOTH. But ... one step at a time, Pro Tools is so easy to use, it's just so CPU hungry, unless you are blessed with an HD system with all of their powercore cards etc, then you'll be flying .. one day ... cool.gif

M

This post has been edited by cruiserman: Sun 9 May 2004, 19:55

--------------------
Feelin Funky for ya!
Check out some of my tracks here: http://www.letstalkmusic.com/cruiserman

+Quote Post
intunetown
post Sun 16 May 2004, 18:16
Post #16

Member No.: 40,242

I'm on my 3rd sequencer and here's what I've learned so far:
It's best to have the one that suits your computer - Mac or PC. Steinberg is a PC first company - meaning that if you run it on a Mac you can expect to always be a step behind the PC guys in terms of stability and bug fixes. Steinberg's reputation for poor customer service is legendary. (see their forums). Still, it is very sophisticated software. For example, you can quantize a group of notes and then days later unquantize one note in the middle of the group, without effecting any of the others. That is an incredible feature.
Logic and DP are Mac based. Not sure about Pro Tools. Historically Pro Tools has a reputation as an audio app, not a midi one. Logic is highly regarded, better than DP in CPU economy - and now that Apple has it - incredibly expensive.
DP is a smaller company, somewhat slow to keep up with the marketplace (AU and virtual instruments) - but runs really smoothly on a Mac and has quality customer service.
There are general statements, of course, based on my own experiences and opinions.

+Quote Post
Andrew Mehrtens
post Wed 19 May 2004, 20:46
Post #17

Member No.: 43,563

I use Pro Tools when I am called in as a contract teacher for a local university because they use 001 kits and I use Logic in my own studio doing audio post and music. Both are great. If you can,, get Logic Pro for its plug-ins. Get used to both. If you don't have the money yet, stick with your Mbox and don't worry. PTLE is not really that LE. Stupid putting the LE in there really. Perhaps ProTools System vs ProTools TDM may be a better way to think of it.

But, I you can work CuBase, you'll find ProTools a snap within your first ten minutes. If you've never used Logic before, go onto Apple's Pro site and hit the Logic pages and look for the Quick Tour QT clips. You'll have it sussed in minutes!

A

+Quote Post
Dasa Soul
post Thu 20 May 2004, 06:51
Post #18

Member No.: 38,418

THE APPLE PRO pages for LOGIC QT tour? i went to APPLE PRO , and could not find , anything on logic , PLZ help !!!! thanks ALOHA !!!!!

+Quote Post
pdgood
post Thu 20 May 2004, 18:34
Post #19

Rookie

Member No.: 34,758

To Andrew or anyone that knows Protools:
What is the difference between Protools and Protools TDM anyway? (other than price). I've never understood what that's about.

+Quote Post
Andrew Mehrtens
post Thu 20 May 2004, 21:55
Post #20

Member No.: 43,563

ProTools LE is CPU driven. It relies on your computer's processor to do all the work. With computers now (such as the G4 and G5) it is a snap. Back when we were all on 286, 386 and 486 machines and small slow hard drives, ProTools was a dream because it used DSP cards to do all the work and ProTools used TDM technology.

TDM is Time Division Multiplexing. You'll find lots of information on that type of thing in the telecommunications field. If you are a comms tech you work with Frequency division and time division multiplexing. ProTools uses TDM and custom hardware to run it so your computer acts really as a conduit to your controllers and graphical display.

Logic Pro allows you to use Digidesign's TDM hardware technology and DSP cards including HD, so you see a bunch of top studios with ProTools TDM and Logic for the strengths of each.

Probably a hideous generalisation, but ProTools LE and MBox or 001 or 002 is a great start, but TDM is BIG GRUNT. TDM reduces latency in monitoring and allows you to record an enormous number of live inputs at once without a blink of a delay. Logic on its own with a plugin or two may give you a bit of a delay due to its full reliance on your CPU.

HOWEVER, if you run TDM hardware, Logic is a perfectly happy camper - and if you are primarily using software instruments and MIDI, Logic is stunning.

Personally I think ProTools strength is recording lots of live mic/line inputs, and Logic's is its MIDI/Sampling/Software Instruments.

WAAAY over generalised, and only my opinion, but I started with very little cash and had to make the wisest choices given all my other parameters and I chose Logic because I already was using FinalCutPro on a Mac and because my first jobs used software instruments - it was all done internally on my Mac. Then Apple bought E-Magic and it kinda worked out real well. I can buy any ProTools rig I want because I have the plugins to load logic onto it and have the best of both worlds if and when I want.

Cheers,

A

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 20 Sep 2024, 13:37
- © MacMusic 1997-2008