MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lo-tech Music-maker, low cpu low ram workstation?
Mr. Jason E. Lec...
post Thu 6 Aug 2009, 03:05
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,692

I recently acquired an older iBook G4 for simple on-the-go email and web things. It's running 10.4, 1.33 GHz PPC processor, with only 256 MB RAM. I've been wanting to do some basic music stuff on the bus ride to/from work, but i haven't successfully found a program that runs smoothly. i don't need it to do a lot. and i'm remembering the days before i switched to mac, having a crappy pc with a 500MHz processor, and only like 64 MB of ram, and easily running ReBirth and a couple other programs.

i mainly want a couple drums and synths to work with. i actually got rebirth from the website, but for some reason this iBook's previous owner apparently deleted anything to do with Classic OS, so i don't have os9 on here to run rebirth in. and i don't have the install discs. (i'm not complaining because the iBook was free)

is there anything that could be suggested for me? either a way for me to "re-get" Classic onto my iBook or some sort of os9 emulator.... OR a similar light CPU light on RAM program.

This community has been a huge help to me over the past few years! so i'm sure you guys will have plenty of ideas for me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Thu 6 Aug 2009, 17:18
Post #2

Member No.: 88,124

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Rebirth_RB-338/
Rebirth is now free, and runs on OSX, supposedly.
More RAM? that's a good idea.
I found Rebirth with a quick search at Hitsquad... there's lots more there.
have fun.

-(edit) okay, here's the full scoop. there's a refill for registered Reason users that emulates the Rebirth sound, and there's a disc image of the install for Rebirth, but it's a classic app.
still, you've gotta love a browse at 'mac music machine'.

This post has been edited by houstonmusic: Thu 6 Aug 2009, 17:24

+Quote Post
ironhead
post Fri 7 Aug 2009, 08:01
Post #3

Member No.: 62,788

QUOTE (houstonmusic @ Thu 6 Aug 2009, 17:18) *
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Rebirth_RB-338/
Rebirth is now free, and runs on OSX, supposedly.
More RAM? that's a good idea.
I found Rebirth with a quick search at Hitsquad... there's lots more there.
have fun.

-(edit) okay, here's the full scoop. there's a refill for registered Reason users that emulates the Rebirth sound, and there's a disc image of the install for Rebirth, but it's a classic app.
still, you've gotta love a browse at 'mac music machine'.

you should be able to use reason 2.5 or earlier versions or logic audio 5 or 6 or logic express 7or digital performer 4.5 or earlier or cubase 3 or earlier any one of these program should work
.another thing you should have garage band install on it
It is a pretty good program to make great music if not use the e installer or the content disk to add it and you are good to go if your are still having problems you may need to do a clean installation and memory update

remember the older the program is less stress on you cpu

+Quote Post
midiwife
post Fri 7 Aug 2009, 10:55
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 8,287

Hi there,

I'd suggest Propellerheads Reason - Rebirth's big brother.

I have a 1GHz Powerbook with 2GB RAM and Reason works fine. It's got a light CPU footprint which is why I also routinely use it rewired to other programs like Cubase on my newer machine.

Plus it's not that expensive.

Otherwise, for a free program you could try Reaper. Reason has all it's own sound modules though but won't let you record long chunks of audio.

Have fun. Free computers are always worth a bit of work!

+Quote Post
Mr. Jason E. Lec...
post Fri 7 Aug 2009, 21:49
Post #5

Rookie

Member No.: 74,692

i actually have reason 4 on my iMac, and love it. i use it along with Ableton Live. for their prices, they do anything i'd ever want.

unfortunately i don't have an additional license to use it on this old iBook. i do love the idea of using older versions of various daw's, and especially having something super basic like an old version of reason. but the problem is... where do i find older versions of programs? i certainly don't want to be spending hundreds of bucks for something i simply want to mess with while on the bus.

that being said, you guys are perfect examples of why i love this forum. lots of great ideas... keep 'em comming please, especially now that i've told you more of what i actually know about software.

oh... and it has been so long since i've used garage band, i actually forgot about it. it is indeed on my iBook. i might see how easy basic midi editing is on there with their built-in soft-synths.

+Quote Post
ironhead
post Sun 9 Aug 2009, 09:00
Post #6

Member No.: 62,788

QUOTE (Mr. Jason E. Lectric @ Fri 7 Aug 2009, 21:49) *
i actually have reason 4 on my iMac, and love it. i use it along with Ableton Live. for their prices, they do anything i'd ever want.

unfortunately i don't have an additional license to use it on this old iBook. i do love the idea of using older versions of various daw's, and especially having something super basic like an old version of reason. but the problem is... where do i find older versions of programs? i certainly don't want to be spending hundreds of bucks for something i simply want to mess with while on the bus.

that being said, you guys are perfect examples of why i love this forum. lots of great ideas... keep 'em comming please, especially now that i've told you more of what i actually know about software.

oh... and it has been so long since i've used garage band, i actually forgot about it. it is indeed on my iBook. i might see how easy basic midi editing is on there with their built-in soft-synths.

well you can get use reason or any other program off ebay or on craigslist in your area or surrounding to buy for cheap also garage band is pretty easy to use and it has its owns software instrument and very nice presets also i n garage band 08 you will have fun with magic band
you can check on you tube or itune podcast for free tutorials

+Quote Post
Jim Hoyland
post Mon 10 Aug 2009, 08:31
Post #7

Member No.: 81,499

QUOTE (Mr. Jason E. Lectric @ Fri 7 Aug 2009, 21:49) *

The Propellerhead license agreement allows you to install their software on a maximum of two computers for non-simultaneous use, and I'm pretty sure the same would apply to Ableton Live too, so if you can get your iBook up to a compatible OS you shouldn't need to buy anything at all.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/commercialmusicstudios

+Quote Post
midiwife
post Tue 11 Aug 2009, 11:14
Post #8

Rookie

Member No.: 8,287

I know for a fact that you get 2 unlocks with Ableton Live so you can have a copy on a desktop and on a laptop without contravening any licence. But, as you say, it depends on the clout of your mac and the versions of the software you actually have access to.
Plus, the biggie is probably when we go to Snow Leopard, Intel only, so if any new incarnation of the progs require snow leopard, you will be stuck.
But for now, Reason 4 should be OK?

Good luck.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 15:05
- © MacMusic 1997-2008