MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roland Pma-5 Software, Looking for Mac Software for Roland PMA-5
daduhon
post Tue 15 Jan 2008, 15:32
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98,065

Hi,
Just picked up a mac G3 off of craigslist, my first mac. I have a Roland PMA-5 that I want to connect to the mac. I have all the hardware, but can't find the software. Roland doesn't sell it anymore. If you have a copy and would be willing to share, or if you know where I can get it, please let me know. Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
midiwife
post Wed 16 Jan 2008, 12:04
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 8,287

QUOTE (daduhon @ Tue 15 Jan 2008, 14:32) *
Hi,
Just picked up a mac G3 off of craigslist, my first mac. I have a Roland PMA-5 that I want to connect to the mac. I have all the hardware, but can't find the software. Roland doesn't sell it anymore. If you have a copy and would be willing to share, or if you know where I can get it, please let me know. Thanks.

Hi there,

You don't really need any software to link the PMA-5 to your computer. You can do it via midi meaning, you need some sort of midi interface for your mac G3. They're pretty cheap things these days - just something to convert MIDI to USB. You will need to ensure that the one you choose will work under the operating system on your G3.
Or, I think it came with a peripheral DIN 8 cable interface which is basically the same as the Apple Desktop Bus cable, your mac probably uses this cable to talk to the (non-usb printer). It's like a tiny small round MIDI cable only about a third of the width.
That connects directly to the PMA-5 and you tell the PMA-5 via a switch that it's talking to a mac rather than MIDI or pc. - As I recall!

I used to use my PMA-5 regularly as my sound source and Cubase VST as my sequencer running on an old Mac 9500 beige tower. Very successful it was too in the days before virtual instruments.

It's a bit round the houses these days but you can probably still get it to work.

All the best.

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Thu 17 Jan 2008, 06:18
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76,633

midiwife... Delivering any new Babies?

The Mac 9500 Tower Of Power. That was the MachineI wanted but could not afford when I was living Down Under, everything cost almost double in Oz. (Australia)

The 9500 Tower was/is a great Machine. I would suggest it to anyone who wants to get started and has a limited buget. No idea about how to go about incorporating the USB, but you don't REALLY need USB. It's great if you have it, but you can create music without it. OS9, ASIO. You can create music as good or better than in OSX. Depends on the ABILTY of the user.

I know some who have heaps of expensive gear but if you can't play, it does not matter. I'm a perfect example of that. I can play, but I don't know what the hell I'm doing in the MIDI World.

I'm still trying to get my Audio finished so I can begin my MIDI Learning Curve.

What was I talkin bout?

+Quote Post
midiwife
post Fri 18 Jan 2008, 11:13
Post #4

Rookie

Funnily enough, I do deliver - but tuition and not babies!

Yes the tower of beige that is my 9500 is with me still but sits quietly and patiently in my attic waiting to whir into life to resurrect old projects, zip drives and other SCSI bits etc. when required. A good friend.

I added a very cheap pci usb card that gave me 2 ports and meant I could transfer pics from my first digi camera back in 02 as I believe. A fabulous machine and I made plenty of tracks on that beast.

My feeling is that the less gear you've got, the harder you work trying to get every last bit out of it and you learn tricks to get round the limitations.
That PMA-5 for instance was and is FABULOUS! I used it mainly as a 16 part sound module and found out all there was to know about the GS standard from using it. Some great drum sounds. Even got the auto accompaniment styles into the mac by making the PMA the master and the mac the slave using Midi clock. Lovely stuff.

Folk starting out nowadays have virtual instruments and effects right there. The interface (I'm thinking of Cubase here) seems so bamboozling and they don't have a clear idea of where to start. I think that's the problem. My task is to simplify it for them so they can build up their understanding in a logical way whilst making good music to spur them on!

So I say stick with the PMA-5 for now and an old copy of Cubase or something similar get cracking having fun!

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Sat 19 Jan 2008, 07:08
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76,633

midiwife, I meant delivered any "Musical Babies". Tuition? Huh?!

+Quote Post
midiwife
post Sat 19 Jan 2008, 12:03
Post #6

Rookie

QUOTE (Mac Daddy @ Sat 19 Jan 2008, 06:08) *
midiwife, I meant delivered any "Musical Babies". Tuition? Huh?!

Well,
An example of one's PMA-5 put to rather effective use can be found here:

www.myspace.com/chalkwellladies

and choose Jesu Joy of Ladies Desiring...
Marvel at those preset patterns - soooo ahead of their time!
I hope I'm allowed to put this kind of link in a post!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 12:04
- © MacMusic 1997-2008