MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Os X And Dp 4, good or bad?
monkeymike
post Tue 15 Jul 2003, 03:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,170

OK- I'm considering upgrading to a faster machine that runs OSX and DP4 and the newer Pro Tools Le- anyone out there gone from 9 to 10 and how do you like it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gramps
post Tue 15 Jul 2003, 10:05
Post #2

Member No.: 19,980

while new to mac (dual 1.25 ghz with 1.75 gb pc333 ram) and DP4 myself i do have friends that had it before both upgrades. this has been a bit of a culture shock to me coming from a paris/pc rig (still keeping it in the studio in case this doesn't work out).

freeze track is cool but...
1. in paris it takes seconds to process the track and the audio segment replaces the previous audio. in DP4 it creats an entirely new track and places it at the end of the of your mixer. while retaining the pan and volume levels the new mixer channel strip settings are at default (visually) and do not show the original settings. i don't understand why it's done this way and if you freeze multiple tracks it will surely make mixing more difficult. as of yet i have not found a way to copy the views from one track to another.

with 46 tracks and 24 plugins,
1. screen shots and clock erratic and slow. the more plugins ran the more erratic and slow it becomes. we stressed the rig to 46 tracks and 120 plugins and the screen was totally useless. even closing a window took a minute to do and any editing would take un reasonably long. i know that this is not a real world test, but i can see where doing a mix could be a real pia due to these issues.

vst usage...
1. unless they are carbonized and you have the fxpansion adaptor none of your old plugs will run. DP is suppose to add AU to the mix sometime in the future. the biggest problem here is that many soft writers are not at this time writing their plugs for this format.

Dp crashes more frequently...
1. my freinds rig used to be very stable undeer DP3 but that cannot be said about it at this moment. even doing edits will cause it to bail out.

so for the moment we're looking at Logic 6.1. but, if you scan their sites you'll find that all is not well under osx either. the only bright spot is that Logic seems to be faster in their updates and fixes. you'll also see from their site that there are a lot of Dp refugees living there.

g

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Tue 15 Jul 2003, 11:46
Post #3

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

For me, 9 to 10 is like from hell to heaven. I hate having to occasionally boot back into OS 9 now. OS X is wonderful and there are plenty of cool apps constantly being developed. Also, now is a good time to consider the switch, as Apple and all the major software firms have finally got a grip on the OS. Stable as anything.

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
post Wed 16 Jul 2003, 00:24
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 14,645

DP-4.0.1 on my flatpanel iMac 800 works great most of the time. Have some midi-related issues from time to time, else its been smooth sailing.

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
TiguerSound
post Fri 25 Jul 2003, 17:57
Post #5

Member No.: 20,920

My two cents ---- My rig is MUCH more stable now that I use DP4 and OS X.
My mouse would frequently freeze in OS9 running DP and I'd have to re-boot. Everything seems much more stable to me. However, Processor load sems to spike more when in very low latency mode. I've seen other posts regarding this problem also. when I set it to 512 instead of 256 or lower - everything is groovy. Still waiting for updates for AutoTune and Altiverb though.
I NEVER boot into OS 9 anymore - yeah.

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
post Fri 1 Aug 2003, 19:14
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 14,645

Check my post on the "Software for Mac OS X" - thread -- on how to remove some some midi related problems in DP 4:

And YES YES YES, by and large notwithstanding some growing pains.
DP4 + OS X is an awesome combination. I like it.

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
gramps
post Sat 2 Aug 2003, 12:38
Post #7

Member No.: 19,980

both my friend and i have taken 9. whatever off our rigs (complete reformat and install of X) and everything runs better. my macs cpu usage has dropped dramatically after doing this. with a template of 48 tracks, 12 auxes, 48 buses and 35 plugins (eq, gates etc) the usage with both 9a dn X installed was around 50%; with 9 gone it has dropped to 8%. those plugs are most likely the only type i'll be using internally as i have enough external hardware (compressors, verbs etc) to cover the other needs.

g

+Quote Post
Kevin Krohn
post Sun 3 Aug 2003, 01:15
Post #8

Member No.: 22,372

I am having no luck at all using OSX and Dp4, having a crapload of problems. Anyone out there who is knoweldgeable, I would SOOOO appreciate your help.. Please e-mail me at KevinOnKeys@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
futurelegend
post Mon 25 Aug 2003, 00:25
Post #9

Member No.: 23,550

Like OSX much much better than 9. have used OSX full time at my home/office computer since 10.1 and as soon as DP4 came out I switched in the studio as well which was a relief. it works great!
Only problem is that any other users than the main one can't seem to be able to access the MIDI interface (MOTU Fastlane)

Rock

/Damon

+Quote Post
krisg
post Mon 25 Aug 2003, 07:24
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 268

Great Forum for MOTU users.
http://www.unicornation.com

biggrin.gif

--------------------
When you understand disorder, out of that understanding comes order-JK.
http://www.audioplanet.fr

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 27 Sep 2024, 23:21
- © MacMusic 1997-2008