MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Noisy Audio In G5, noisy audio in G5
fictionmusic
post Tue 8 Jan 2008, 07:30
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,632

I have been using CHUD tools and the nap thing for 5 years now with no adverse effects. I think that if you have the chirping (not all do by any means) then not disabling nap means that you'll get the noise into your audio output. I have used the Firewire 410, the RME Fireface 800 and 400 and they all let the chirping through so I had no choice but to disable nap.

I also have had my mac on for about 5 years now so I really don't think any hardware issue as far as longevity is really relevant. I have never had a single system crash (after the three I had switching sampling rates on the firewire 410 5 years ago; that was solved by updating the drivers....since then every thing has been rock solid) and I run a studio 24 hours a day.

This was a fairly known problem when the G5 came out, and everyone I have talked to about it reports flawless long-term use, so I really wouldn't worry about any hardware damage as a result of disabling nap.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
crazyoval
post Tue 8 Jan 2008, 08:44
Post #12

Member No.: 97,781

thanks fictionmusic, from the posts the other guys referred me to it did seem ambiguous. Since its something that you have to switch off each time you turn on the studio (assuming you turn off your studio which in you case seems not to be the case) I can turn it on when I need it.

Thanks for your advice. Wish I had done this with my powerbook nearly 5 years ago now.

+Quote Post
leegrainge
post Tue 8 Jan 2008, 17:26
Post #13

Rookie

Member No.: 83,805

Mac Daddy, what a great sense of humour you have!
I only found out what they were called by joining another forum that only talks about such things tongue.gif
Best.
La Grainge (as my ancestors called it)

This post has been edited by leegrainge: Tue 8 Jan 2008, 17:27

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 20 Apr 2024, 04:39
- © MacMusic 1997-2008