MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Digital Performer With My Mac, DP now or wait till OSX support?
tingkumajique
post Wed 5 Mar 2003, 17:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,992

I have a PowerMac G4 867 Dual Processor running with 1.25Gigs of DDR RAM.

i have a great offer on Digital Performer and it comes one in a lifetime. the thing is, i'm gonna spend quite a hefty sum on it and i really need to know if getting the software now is advisable or not.

i'm aware that it does not support Mac OS X, but i have OS 9.2.2, so it really isn't a problem. is just don't really want to get this software and then after a few months MOTU comes up with a better software sequencer. just like when i bought my Mac, 2 months later a higher processor comes out.

is it a good to go for the plunge? what other things should i look out for?

currently, when i get the software, i'll use the mac line-ins until i recover slightly financially and get a outboard unit.

thanx for helping...

gabe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PlasTree
post Wed 5 Mar 2003, 18:49
Post #2

Member No.: 8,395

Can you hold out until the end of this month before you buy? I ask this because MOTU is supposed to release DP4 (osX compatible) very soon. Otherwise, DP3 is still an excellent investment. It's completely up to date technology-wise and will be for quite awhile. My only concern would be that in a couple of years we probably will observe a decline in os9-compatible plug-ins, as everything will have moved to osX. DP4, from what I've read, isn't a significant upgrade aside from the fact that it runs on osX and supports AU, but there could be other major new features that haven't yet been advertised.

+Quote Post
motumacman
post Wed 5 Mar 2003, 19:04
Post #3

Member No.: 13,576

i also say stay with performer (Best Thing Running ) contact some one at motu and let them know your concerns and ask them... they might even have some sort of free upgrade for people who purchased the software 30 days before DP4's release... you never know... But Go MOTU all the way

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 6 Mar 2003, 06:02
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

I've got the felling Motu said a few days ago all users who bought or upgraded DP 3.11 from december will get OS X version free… rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
gidfiddler
post Thu 6 Mar 2003, 06:22
Post #5

Member No.: 10,612

if you R getting dp3 at a bargain price chances R that this price + the upgrade to dp4 will work out cheaper than buying dp4 off the shelf which is guarantted to be significant $$ without buying some motu hardware at the same time .

+Quote Post
manexmachina
post Thu 6 Mar 2003, 06:28
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 11,875

I heard from someone who *should* know only a week ago that DPX was "months" away from release. And from the confident tone in his voice, I'm imagining he meant it. 2 or 3 - minus 1 week. judging from that, 25 days seems a little optomistic.

But... I could be wrong.

Are you upgrading form anything else? their competitive upgrade is really good.

+Quote Post
tingkumajique
post Thu 6 Mar 2003, 17:49
Post #7

Member No.: 12,992

hey,

thanx for all your feedbacks.

got a reply from one of the sales rep @ MOTU. said that any DP software purchased withing this 30 days will get free updage to DP4. however there must be a proof of purchase...

problem is, i'm in malaysia... how is there going to be a proof of purchase?

it's kinda sucky to hear that the upgrade will cost...

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 7 Mar 2003, 05:49
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

This upgrade will be the one with the most changes every 5 minutes.

The price, maybe we'll know it when we'll know the DATE laugh.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
manexmachina
post Fri 7 Mar 2003, 06:24
Post #9

Rookie

Member No.: 11,875

you're proof of purchase is the invoice or the receipt - sometimes they want the upc label on the box... there's plenty of proofs - ask them what they'll want at the time.

now, if you buy it tomorrow... and they come out with it in six weeks, you will have to buy the upgrade still. just sayin'...

+Quote Post
Synthetik
post Fri 7 Mar 2003, 11:50
Post #10

Member No.: 5,668

I have always respected MOTU, and I myself am waiting. OH MY LORD I CAN NOW HEAR SOUND FROM PEAK IN OSX!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I just want my DP4 I hope the last press release is going to be the last. but I guess will have to wait and see.

--------------------
BING BING BLEEP ERRRRRRR[I]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 11:26
- © MacMusic 1997-2008