MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Garageband Performance Issues With New Macbook?, Newbie needs some help optimizing garageband
nebdrof
post Thu 13 Jan 2011, 18:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 116,563

Hey all! Got a new mac user here with some questions about the CPU hog that is 'Garageband'. Either I've selected some memory heavy track options, recorded something improperly, or have other unknown system issues that I could use some help sorting out.

Hardware: New Macbook with 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2GB Memory (1067 Mhz DDR3) with about half of the hard drive filled with pictures/music etc. 121G of 256G

Software: Gb that came installed on the machine and no other plugins/add ons.

Recording: 6 track/2:00 min song, 2 mic tracks (guitar,vocal), 3 Gb instrument tracks (bass and 2 keys), and 1 Drumbeat loop from the Gb loops (effected drumkit 08) all relatively light on effects

Issue: "Part of Project was not played" - Too many real instrument tracks to be played in real time. To optimize performance...blah blah blah. I've followed most of their optimizing tips to no avail. I've uploaded a screenprint of garageband, the warning and current CPU usage monitor which does not seem to be maxed...

Question: Anything else I should be doing to make this thing work? Is there another program that is not as resource intensive that has similar functionality. I do have Adobe Soundbooth as part of the Adobe Production Premium package but use that mainly for video/photo editing.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Screen_shot_2011_01_13_at_11.23.04_AM.png ( 347.79K ) Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  Screen_shot_2011_01_13_at_11.23.04_AM.png ( 347.79K ) Number of downloads: 5

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
gdoubleyou
post Wed 26 Jan 2011, 15:37
Post #2

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

2GB RAM is barely enough to run the OS, max out your RAM.

Best practice is to record to external hard drive, that will also free up system drive for virtual memory.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
manchoa
post Wed 26 Jan 2011, 16:53
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 111,338

Emm -

OSX 10.5 needs 256 mb memory and what virtual memory ??

you must be a Windows guy :-)

I run iMac with 2 gig memory in our studio and I run about 15 virtual instrument tracks with no problem.

QUOTE (gdoubleyou @ Wed 26 Jan 2011, 16:37) *

Best practice is to record to external hard drive, that will also free up system drive for virtual memory.

cool.gif

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Thu 27 Jan 2011, 02:52
Post #4

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

QUOTE (manchoa @ Wed 26 Jan 2011, 07:53) *
Emm -

I run iMac with 2 gig memory in our studio and I run about 15 virtual instrument tracks with no problem.

cool.gif

OSX will ALWAYS use part of the system drive for virtual memory.

As virtual instruments and effects are added, more virtual memory is required.
OSX will ALWAYS have top priority, and may delay other processes, while it handles virtual memory.(pops and clicks for audio apps).

Observe the activity monitor(utilities folder) system memory, disk activity, when adding plugs.

Currently my Blackbook's virtual memory is 43GB, with only a browser and the finder open + the background processes.

Depending on your processor and disk speed you may never encounter a problem with your current load.

The OP has a Macbook, that come standard with 5400rpm hard drives it could be the bottleneck

Also for the original poster, be aware that when you open a new track in GB, you are actually opening a channel strip with effect applied.

To improve performance disable the effects.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
manchoa
post Thu 27 Jan 2011, 08:12
Post #5

Rookie

Member No.: 111,338

Yes, but in this case the "bottleneck" is the integrated soundcard that is not for musicmaking an multitracking.
What you need is a good firewire or audio interface that is meant for musicmaking...
Such as Edirol FA-66 (firewire), Edirol UA-25 (usb) , Edirol UA-101 (USB) if You need more inputs, M-Audio Fast track Pro (USB), or M-Audio Solo (firewire), EMU Tracker (usb), Lexicon Omega or Lexicon Alpha (usb) ect.

They all use Core Audio drivers with zero or low latency that is essential for recording and multitracking (integrated soundcard doen not have Core Audio, it is not made for musicmaking !)

Audio interface is not JUST A SOUNDCARD (such as Creative soundblaster or similar).
USB or firewire audio interface is the essential HEART of music-making or homerecording.

Right now Your Mac has to handle all the audio rendering ect, audio interface takes this away from Mac and does ti itself. (sorry, I try to explain, but my english is not so good). Basically it takes the sound from your Mac via firewire or usb, and sends the audio to Your Mac via sub or firewire. All the processing and rendering takes place inside the interface and the playback of result comes also from the interface, not from the Mac.

I show You an example.
I use 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac (vers 9.1) with 2GB of memory and run Logic Studio 9 with Edirol UA-101 USB audio interface.
I open and play one song I'm working with and take a screenshot for You.

This song has 4 stereo audio tracks recorded @ 48Khz/24bit, 2 Virtual Instrument tracks running@ 48KHz (Native Instrument Kontakt 4 with Scarbee Jay Bass loaded and Independence Free), 12 "real instruments" or EXS sampler instruments a lot of effects running (14 effects are open) and a mastering effect strip with 6 effects). I take a screenshot somewhere, where most of the instruments play....

Take a look:

I have CPU running on 30% max !!!

This is why you need audio interface, not integrated soundcard, not soundcard or soundblaster.
You can't make multitracking without audio interface

Tommy

QUOTE (gdoubleyou @ Thu 27 Jan 2011, 03:52) *
QUOTE (manchoa @ Wed 26 Jan 2011, 07:53) *
Emm -

cool.gif

OSX will ALWAYS use part of the system drive for virtual memory.

As virtual instruments and effects are added, more virtual memory is required.
OSX will ALWAYS have top priority, and may delay other processes, while it handles virtual memory.(pops and clicks for audio apps).

Observe the activity monitor(utilities folder) system memory, disk activity, when adding plugs.

Currently my Blackbook's virtual memory is 43GB, with only a browser and the finder open + the background processes.

Depending on your processor and disk speed you may never encounter a problem with your current load.

The OP has a Macbook, that come standard with 5400rpm hard drives it could be the bottleneck

Also for the original poster, be aware that when you open a new track in GB, you are actually opening a channel strip with effect applied.

To improve performance disable the effects.

cool.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 28 Apr 2024, 00:48
- © MacMusic 1997-2008