MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clueless RAM Upgrade Question, is there a cheaper way to upgrade RAM?
d3i
post Sun 9 May 2010, 17:54
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 113,520

wink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
<[]*_*[]>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 13 May 2010, 11:09
Post #12

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

And if you told us for which computer is it d3i? wink.gif

Real Samsung (not just the chips, the whole thing stamped Samsung)
Gskill
Danelec
MBT

Are serious stuff, you can have the exact type of ram deep in Apple docs for the computer or on Everymac. I buy my ram in small PC shops, but I'm a warrior wink.gif

Note that if it's for a MacPro, they are very picky and you should play safely and be sure you can send the RAM back in case it doesn't work as expected.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
d3i
post Fri 14 May 2010, 05:46
Post #13

laugh.gif

Mac Book white

but want do it like a PRO smile.gif

--------------------
<[]*_*[]>

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 15 May 2010, 22:21
Post #14

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Which white? The latest ?

If so you have to buy a pair of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500) modules. You can add 2x 4 GB modules even if Apple says it supports only 2x 2GB.

You can verify the type: it's in the Apple Manual, and you can see the DDR type, and speed, via the apple menu>About this mac>more info>memory

Standard PC SODIMM DDR3 1066 MHz will do it. If you have the choice, choose a CL with the smallest number like 7 (you should'nt find smaller).

If it's not the latest macbook, it's not the same RAM model, so check it.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
d3i
post Mon 17 May 2010, 03:34
Post #15

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Sat 15 May 2010, 22:21) *
Which white? The latest ?

If so you have to buy a pair of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500) modules. You can add 2x 4 GB modules even if Apple says it supports only 2x 2GB.

You can verify the type: it's in the Apple Manual, and you can see the DDR type, and speed, via the apple menu>About this mac>more info>memory

Standard PC SODIMM DDR3 1066 MHz will do it. If you have the choice, choose a CL with the smallest number like 7 (you should'nt find smaller).

If it's not the latest macbook, it's not the same RAM model, so check it.

------------------------------------------------------->
wow, thanks !!!

my "little one" laugh.gif is from 2006, Intel Core Duo, 1.83GHz memory 1GB for the moment... I did new hard drive in 2008 and monitor in 2009... smile.gif 4 GB ??? hm... he will didn't fly? laugh.gif

I have DDR2 *2 512 MB 667 MHz

--------------------------------> the big problem {as i'm thinking a lots of MAC users} I have problem that corpus usually is very hot angry.gif

IF I UNDERSTAND WELL HERE IS PROBLEM - in DDR? yes? if i upgrade it to DDR3 and increase speed to 1066MHz???

will be very happy and thank you in advance, if You, lepetitmartien, say Your opinion than...

cause don't want just to buy new Pro and be happy laugh.gif, want to keep this one for all my vole life wink.gif

THANK YOU and THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

dB

--------------------
<[]*_*[]>

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 21 May 2010, 15:03
Post #16

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Changing memory just to use fastest one won't help you save pay more at best. At worst (like using DDR3 in DDR2 slots), it won't work or badly (I have not tried and won't even try to).

Macbooks GET hot, got one (core2duo 2 GHz). More memory will help a little (less swapping on the hard drive) but it'll run hot anyway.

Yours needs PC2-5300 DDR2 667 MHz SODIMM memories.

Now the best part (insert trumpets here) :

Even if Apple tells you can have up to 2 GB of memory (2x1GB), in fact you should be able to use 1x1GB and 1x2GB or 2xGB, and have 3 GB to use. The macbook won't recognize more than 3 GB unfortunately. The interest of using 2x2GB is that the memory will be interleaved and more efficient. I have done it a long time ago in mine, and it just work. biggrin.gif

Now, one trick to do when you will upgrade is to make a general reset of the macbook with some tricks along the way, as you will disturb his habits :
- with OnyX (download the right one for you OS version, it's important), clear all caches (in preferences, set for the mac to shut down and not restart, we need it this way this time. Then go to "automation" have everything checked save what's about spotlight, mail and the web in the libel. Run the scripts. Once the mac is done, it'll shut down.)
- unplug the macbook, unplug the battery from the mac, press a few seconds the start button to reset the mac itself.
- now change the memory (if you have never done it before, the procedure is in Apple's leaflet and on Apple support site. I won't detail everything as it's well explained at Apple.) Touch metal in the macbook first then proceed. Be careful with the metal strap you have to unscrew, it's easily bendable. To put it back in place once done, use something to push the "moss" in place and screw on. If it's not placed the right way, it'll bend, so be careful and never force, it'll work the job nicely.
- replace the battery, replug the adaptor, start up.
- check you have the expected amount of memory. You should test it (use the Apple Hardware test on the original install DVD)
- and you're a happy camper ! smile.gif

On the heat issue, can you tell me how high does the CPU go when running at full power? (run for example anything using flash… use Istat pro, and give the CPU and heatsink values). If it's higher than 90°C (or way higher than), your fan may be dirty or dying or dead and you should care about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
d3i
post Sat 22 May 2010, 05:20
Post #17

blink.gif

I will thinking about that... oh...

dB

--------------------
<[]*_*[]>

+Quote Post
edthened
post Sat 22 May 2010, 06:14
Post #18

Member No.: 107,647

hi!

general comment: If you are having overheating problems on a MacBook, you could try running this task bar app, available at

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049/smcfancontrol

smcfanControl allows you to manually set the lower limit on fan speed on an Intel MacBook, and keeps things reasonably cool - and its free.

A cooling pad might also a good idea, if you can find one that sets your macBook at a convenient height and angle, and is also quiet enough for your music production environment. I use a Belkin model with integrated USB hub. I like it, but most reviewers hate it, as it goes.

QUOTE (edthened @ Sat 22 May 2010, 12:05) *
hi!

general comment: If you are having overheating problems on a MacBook, you could try running this task bar app, available at

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049/smcfancontrol

smcfanControl allows you to manually set the lower limit on fan speed on an Intel MacBook, and keeps things reasonably cool - and its free.

A cooling pad might also a good idea, if you can find one that sets your macBook at a convenient height and angle, and is also quiet enough for your music production environment. I use a Belkin model with integrated USB hub. I like it, but most reviewers hate it, as it goes.

Apologies - it does not appear in the task bar (I was thinking of something else) but should be included as a startup item in your System Preferences Login list.

+Quote Post
d3i
post Sun 23 May 2010, 06:01
Post #19

Hi, Edhened!

Thanks for proposition, but reading reviews about app - first that came to mind: better I clean dust biggrin.gif, but not share my System Preferences with it... smile.gif

but anyway, thanks...

wink.gif

dB

--------------------
<[]*_*[]>

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 25 May 2010, 14:49
Post #20

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

I strongly counsel not to use smcfancontrol, I found it to be a (very) bad idea IMHO. Some users use another controlling software more interesting but more difficult to tune up CoolBok. But it won't help if the fan is dead, dirty or running to its death.

Cooling pads are great, But not all are equal, I use a Zalman Notebook Cooler, it's great, it works (up to 10°C less depending of the use, if I let the seethru on the macbook…). Mind that all cooling pads are not created equal…

I can't seem to be able to join the Zalman website right now… sad.gif

This post has been edited by lepetitmartien: Tue 25 May 2010, 15:11

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 17:17
- © MacMusic 1997-2008