MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can I Build My Own Bac-based Computer?, building a computer
Mr. Jason E. Lec...
post Wed 21 Feb 2007, 20:46
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,692

i'm sure this is being asked in a lot of heads right now. but with the newest mac os running on intel core 2 duo, could i have a computer built for me that has a core 2 duo processor and the right "parts" (obvious why i'm having it built FOR me)... buy MAC OS 10.4.whatev and kick some ass? i love my little G4 iBook, but i need some more power! and it's kinda tough to afford a new big-boy apple right now (for me). any takers on this?

while i'm on this subject, why is it uncommon to see people build their own mac-based computers? in fact i've NEVER seen one.

please only reply if you know what you're talking about
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mikestatic
post Thu 22 Feb 2007, 06:12
Post #2

Member No.: 67,088

QUOTE (Mr. Jason E. Lectric @ Wed 21 Feb 2007, 19:46) *
i'm sure this is being asked in a lot of heads right now. but with the newest mac os running on intel core 2 duo, could i have a computer built for me that has a core 2 duo processor and the right "parts" (obvious why i'm having it built FOR me)... buy MAC OS 10.4.whatev and kick some ass? i love my little G4 iBook, but i need some more power! and it's kinda tough to afford a new big-boy apple right now (for me). any takers on this?

while i'm on this subject, why is it uncommon to see people build their own mac-based computers? in fact i've NEVER seen one.

please only reply if you know what you're talking about

The only way you'd be able to build an intel based Mac is to buy the Apple parts to build one. The motherboard is unique to Macs, and the rest of the innards have to be up to the strict Apple specs... which means Apple parts. You'd pay more for the parts than you'd spend for a used MacPro on eBay. Even a PowerPC based G5 is going to be a good platform for 4-5 years.

The only Mac I've ever built was a PC in a Mac G3 case...

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Thu 22 Feb 2007, 21:19
Post #3

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

Not only that, but there currently is no retail Macintel version of OSX, the only way to get it is to buy an Intel mac or by pirating.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 23 Feb 2007, 00:48
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

And there's a site about all this, but given the rules we have here, I won't enter on this further, only to say this:

The actual possibilities to build a PC running OS X exist, but need time and knowledge somewhat. Also, you may never be sure it'll work 100% for your use and the support of the hardware by the OS is version based as it's a rat race between Apple and the guys keeping cracking the OS for this. I think it's way easier to stick to Apple hardware and make music instead. wink.gif

If you don't have the money for a full fledge latest mac, check the classifieds (be wary of too good to be true affairs though) or check regularly the refurb store at Apple.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Mr. Jason E. Lec...
post Fri 23 Feb 2007, 01:19
Post #5

Rookie

Member No.: 74,692

awesome... it was as i suspected. i'd have to buy an apple motherboard and parts and that WOULD be expensive. or i could go the way lepetitmartien was talking about (which i had looked at a bit), but it would definitely be a bit of a challenge to me (i'm more of a musican and NOT a computer tech), and i wouldn't have that apple care i've come to love and trust!!! so i'll stick with just buying one smile.gif But i ALWAYS forget about the refurbs. thanks a lot guys!

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 23 Feb 2007, 23:42
Post #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

wink.gif

Watch closely, the refurbs are not always interesting, but there are real bargains in the higher end of the macs Apple makes sometimes.

I've already looked closely the site we all not quote plainly, and even me who is a plain mac geek, I feel it's a waste of time and headaches for something that may work (and do so perfectly sometimes yes), as I like macs on the premise they work out of the box and most of the time don't waste your time stupidly, it's not the right way to go (outside of the legal issues) it's juts not the mac way. Now if it can make some people switch, it's cool smile.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
frankELF
post Mon 26 Feb 2007, 04:21
Post #7

Member No.: 88,593

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Fri 23 Feb 2007, 17:42) *
wink.gif

Watch closely, the refurbs are not always interesting, but there are real bargains in the higher end of the macs Apple makes sometimes.

I've already looked closely the site we all not quote plainly, and even me who is a plain mac geek, I feel it's a waste of time and headaches for something that may work (and do so perfectly sometimes yes), as I like macs on the premise they work out of the box and most of the time don't waste your time stupidly, it's not the right way to go (outside of the legal issues) it's juts not the mac way. Now if it can make some people switch, it's cool smile.gif

Not understanding the unspoken stuff here . . . but I do want opinions about where to get a dual G5 for a good price. What's the URL for refurbished Macs at Apple? And how can you tell if an eBay Mac is going to be reliable. I'm using a G4 800 right now.

Thanks for any advice. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Proud to be Member Number 88,593!

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 26 Feb 2007, 23:08
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

The unspoken stuff it's because part of this is unlawful, as the forums have to be kept in the limits of legality we did choose the conservative approach.

For the Refurb, go to the Applestore, and look in the right grey column, you've got a "sale" part wink.gif (if the links don't work, go to apple.com then Store/save)

On Ebay, I've never seen a mac going at an interesting price I could have confidence into… (to be more precise, a seller I was confident into…) Maybe it's better in the USA but I really think it's better t see the computer and try it beforehand, save when it comes from a reliable source.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spacelace
post Tue 27 Feb 2007, 04:15
Post #9

Member No.: 78,692

If you go on ebay, try to get in touch with a guy whose ebay handle is "macgeniusdude". I bought from him and everything I got from him was what he said I would get. He has a very high ebay rating, etc. I'd give you his phone # but, you know, etiquette and all that. You can get all that from him on ebay. Nice guy and knowledgeable. Hope this helps your situation. smile.gif

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Tue 27 Feb 2007, 06:58
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

The other thing to think about....and I don't know what your credit is like but, www.musiciansfriend.com generally has 1 year interest free payments so that is not too bad when you really look at it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 17:02
- © MacMusic 1997-2008