MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ¿tecnologia Discreta O Solid State?, valvs o solid state
canoleguer
post Thu 5 Aug 2010, 22:41
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114,730

I want to get a preamp wth compression
but im not sure if preamp at valbs or solid state
i know solid state is better for higth volumes
but ...it mean albs are more hot to, for example,
acustic instruments?
At last, anybody knows if solid state is the same that, in spanish, tecnologia discreta?

everybody was good this nigth!!

salut!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 9 Aug 2010, 14:13
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

On the preamp, you should be precise on the warmth or transparency of it. Either you want a colored one (and then find the right color you want) or a transparent one.

If you don't have a pre, start with a transparent, it'll do its job on any material. After you'll be able to add colored ones. And the mic can be most important too.

Solid State : uses semi-conductors (that is ICs, diodes…), no valves.
It's not the same are discreet components : that means no ICs, all the circuit is made or transistors, resistors, caps etc. each in it's own little package and separated.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
canoleguer
post Mon 9 Aug 2010, 16:16
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 114,730

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Mon 9 Aug 2010, 14:13) *
On the preamp, you should be precise on the warmth or transparency of it. Either you want a colored one (and then find the right color you want) or a transparent one.

If you don't have a pre, start with a transparent, it'll do its job on any material. After you'll be able to add colored ones. And the mic can be most important too.

Solid State : uses semi-conductors (that is ICs, diodes…), no valves.
It's not the same are discreet components : that means no ICs, all the circuit is made or transistors, resistors, caps etc. each in it's own little package and separated.

ei, le petitmartine!
thanks for you opinions

so, you mean that Solid state are transparent and valvs are more colour and hot, isnt it?

i need a very good preamps 'cause i get a neuman u87 mic ( secons hand) amb neuman tlm 103

but i want a duble one ( get easy to move: local, etc)

i've saw the focusritetwin track pro (500-600€) , joemek twin@

both with preamp, eq and compressor optical and variability impedance

what's your opinion about these preamps? joemek? or TL, how are these?

or for the quality of neuman mic's i need two Avalon at last??

my money is go out now, so i must wait two mounth to buy it

while, i havethe 003rack digidessign. i should work with his 4 preamps at the moment.

regards,

Dani

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 12 Aug 2010, 14:40
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Both solid state and valves can be transparent or colored, it all depends how it's done. Most of the time now, manufacturer uses valves for personality over linearity, there a exceptions though.

On the hardware of choice, I leave the ones in the know give you better input than I can. But given the mics you have, a decent pre at least is mandatory. Figure out the Really Nice Pre or similar as a beginning, There's right now a lot of small nice preamps available with a decent price (usually transparent ones) from UK and US small manufacturers. That's the minimum you should use. Expect 250-500$ or € as a minimum.

Avoid actual joemeek IMHO, "old" ones (before the buy out) are colored and fine in their own way. No opinion on TL out of lack of experience though I know their valve stuff is warm of warm in the valve mixers. The best thing is still to try with your mic and typical material if you can. Especially if you need to decide between transparent or not, and itf colored, what kind of color (just a bit of sparkle or warm to death)

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 14:14
- © 440 Forums 2011