MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Two Sound Cards On A Mac Pro?
korakas
post Wed 30 Jan 2008, 10:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98,465

Hi all :-)
Like some members here i'm a pc user thinking on moving on to a Mac and to be honest i vow to the magnifesy of a Mac and to be more specific to the new double quadcore Mac Pro.
I'm having serious thoughts on switching to a mac system, and i really decided, but something hold me back so i need your help and advices.

I'll try to make it as clear as i can. I'm into film scoring (composing music for film, videos, advertisments etc.) and also video editing. I use Nuendo as my DAW and Adobe Production Suite CS2 for video editing. I also own three sound cards, EMU 1820, M-Audio Delta 1010LT and Terratec Aureon 7.1external firewire.
I'm currently using only EMU 1820 and i do my work fine.Terratec is used rarely for working outside my home. I do stereo and surround production.
The problem is that my EMU 1820 won't work on a Mac system since it's only compatible to Pc platform.Therefor i can use M Audio which is compatible with Pc & Mac platform. But i heard that surround functions won't work on a Mac. Is that true?

So my question is this, could i install bouth M-audio delta 1010lt and EMU 1820 on a MacPro system, and use the emu 1820 in Windows XP through Boot Camp switch? So as to do video editing and music production on Leopard,and leave the surround process on Windows XP through boot camp.Both sound cards are PCI. I could use Aureon but its capabilities are seemless comparing to the M-audio 1010lt or to the Emu 1820.
I'm really confused on what to do, unsure.gif so any help or advice would be most appreciated. biggrin.gif
Thanks in advance, cheers! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lancet
post Wed 30 Jan 2008, 12:35
Post #2

Member No.: 46,480

QUOTE (korakas @ Wed 30 Jan 2008, 05:09) *
Hi all :-)
EMU 1820, M-Audio Delta 1010LT and Terratec Aureon 7.1external firewire.
I'm currently using only EMU 1820 and i do my work fine.Terratec is used rarely for working outside my home. I do stereo and surround production.
The problem is that my EMU 1820 won't work on a Mac system since it's only compatible to Pc platform.Therefor i can use M Audio which is compatible with Pc & Mac platform. But i heard that surround functions won't work on a Mac. Is that true?

as far as I can tell, neither card will work in the MacPro.

They are both PCI 2.2 cards.
The slots in a MacPro are PCIe. (PCI express)

sorry to be the bearer of bad news. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
korakas
post Wed 30 Jan 2008, 13:58
Post #3

that's ok Lancet , thanks for the info, isn't it possible to have one or two PCI slots, kind of as you do when you search for a Motherboard for a PC? (As you can see i'm completely irrelavant about Mac hrdware) Thnks again :-)

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Wed 30 Jan 2008, 18:15
Post #4

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

You would have to go backwards on the Powermac roadmap, early G5s have PCI, also G4.

Those machines are totally outclassed by the current MacIntels.

Aggregate device, a core audio feature allows you to treat mutiple audio devices like on large audio interface.

Creative Suite 2 is not macintel compatible.

CPU performance of the steinberg DAWS is poor when compared to other Mac DAWS, 40-60% more instances of virtual instruments and effects when using Logic 7/8, or DP5.

If you are dead set on those software choices, i suggest staying on PC.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
korakas
post Thu 31 Jan 2008, 19:53
Post #5

thanks gdoubleyou, i appreciate your help an advices, well as far as i see i'll have to stay on Pc, for now at least. Lancet i thank you too. Pity, i was hoping to get a Mac soon, but i'll have to wait a liitle, well i know it'll worth the wait. Thanks again guys, good luck with your work, cheers! :-)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 11:01
- © MacMusic 1997-2008