MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Metro 6 Actually Shipping As Upgrade, They sure know how to keep a secret...
BusError
post Fri 10 Jan 2003, 10:30
Post #11

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,795

Note that the LE version might be quite useful as an 'extra tool' and is $60 only.

However, I tested it a bit (I never used Metro before) and there are some quirks that annoys me; like having the 'default' button to the left of dialogs :-) and a few others. I'm gonna play the demo a little to see if it grows on me.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BusError
post Fri 14 Feb 2003, 03:12
Post #12

Advanced Member

I gave it another shot (at the LE demo version, anyway). It's true it's seems to have lots of potential, but dammit, the interface is absolutly awful.

Is there a way to use a control surface with it? I have that EZbus with lots of gizmos to push and turn, but I can't seem to be able to use it in Metro.

But then again, it took me 15 minutes to find how to direct the MIDI out to my synth so... ;-/

--------------------

+Quote Post
garysome1
post Fri 14 Feb 2003, 05:37
Post #13

Member No.: 10,895

Yep you can use controllers with it though it requires you do a fair amount to set it up:

http://www.sagantech.biz/metro/help/Met00279.htm

Hope it helps,
Gary

+Quote Post
BusError
post Fri 14 Feb 2003, 20:09
Post #14

Advanced Member

Hmm I tried that, it's rpetty useless; the list of controlers you can use is fixed, and they are all the "useful" ones, you can specify the one you'd typicaly assign to unused controlers gizmo. Theres also no "learn" method. And the actions are also very limited.

Disapointing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
garysome1
post Sat 15 Feb 2003, 06:08
Post #15

Yep, a little disappointing and laborious. I took the time to set up for my US-428 but now I can use it. Unfortunately, Metro takes anything on the MIDI channel number (meaning it doesn't separate controller information coming in from different ports). Sagantech is really responsive to email on their forum though and I'll bet suggestions will be listened to. I have thought about suggesting improvements but just haven't gotten there yet.

I would warn folks about shunning Metro just for this alone. It does work, if not conveniently. Metro is quite the tool for the money and for a product that recently changed owners it was among the first to work in X and it has new features (AU, soundfonts, jukebox...) and it has already had several point updates. Obviously this is an agile/agressive developer!

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Tue 18 Feb 2003, 05:19
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,003

I have had no problems running muliple ports at one time on metro 5. Metro 6 is pretty mush identecal to 5..... Of course running OMS might have something to do with it.. make sure to correcly assign each port to the corect sound.

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
garysome1
post Tue 18 Feb 2003, 06:07
Post #17

Thanks but I think I just described the issue poorly. I use 2 ports off of my US-428 (plus the controller port) and an old serial interface at the same time using OMS with no problems.

The controller problem occurs because Metro takes remote control information based on a MIDI channel but does not discern between ports for the remote control data. So, if you choose MIDI channel 1 for remote control data it will accept it from MIDI channel 1 from any port (and all ports enabled in MIDI Setup:Record From). In the case of the US-428 in "4 banks mode" (what seems most appropriate for Metro to me) you'll end up using controllers like bank select, mod wheel, pan, hold pedal, ... and if you are using these controllers on any other port with the same MIDI channel number you'll suddenly have your faders jumping around when you didn't mean it.

I guess in my case I could accept a mere 46 MIDI channels (1 channel tied up in the US-428 across all ports + 15 for port 1 + 15 for port 2 + 15 for port 3) and then it's no big deal. I just happen to have a bunch of keyboards that are 8 port multitimbral and it is convenient to have something like:
port 1, channels 1-8 for synth 1
port 1, channels 9-16 for synth 2
port 2, channels 1-8 for synth 3

Make sense?

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Thu 27 Feb 2003, 05:38
Post #18

Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (BusError @ Feb 13 2003, 20:12)
I gave it another shot (at the LE demo version, anyway). It's true it's seems to have lots of potential, but dammit, the interface is absolutly awful.

In some respects, I have to agree. It's a real love-hate relationship.

The part I hate most is going through about 6 steps to set up to record audio. With Deck, e.g., you select from the available inputs right on the channel strip and click the record button and go. Metro needs some streamlining, mainly to throw its complicated "Instruments" architecture out the nearest window and say, "Here's yer MIDI channels, here's yer audio channels, have a nice day."

That said, it's a very powerful program and I hope for coming greatness in simplification. biggrin.gif

I still think its MIDI editing capabilities are excellent.

+Quote Post
garysome1
post Thu 27 Feb 2003, 07:59
Post #19

Are you using OS9/OMS? I kind of dig telling Metro to Special:Modify Instruments and Busses: "Make instruments reflect MIDI setup document." which lays things out as you have OMS already set up. If OS X I'm no help (yet) though Audio MIDI Setup seems close enough to OMS to offer a very similar option.

+Quote Post
BusError
post Fri 28 Feb 2003, 00:33
Post #20

Advanced Member

BTW I'm not in rather close contact with Jeremy, who does Metro. I've helped him some on various OSX development specifics, and he already released a new LE and has a new 6.05 non-LE on ASAP.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 22:37
- © MacMusic 1997-2008