MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Monitors For A Powerbook Set Up, What kind of speakers are you using?
simon l
post Thu 24 Jun 2004, 13:08
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,736

Hi, I am new to this forum and also relatively new to music production. I am looking to purchase some studio monitors to go with my powerbook and oxygen ozone set up. I have heard great things about the Alesis monitors however I was wondering how suitable they would be for a very small space. My 'music room' is approx 3metres by 5metres. Can anyone recommend some monitors for this sized space? I can't really afford to pay anymore than £400.

Thanks,
Simon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Riverdog
post Thu 24 Jun 2004, 16:39
Post #12

Member No.: 38,439

Since my last post I just moved up to the Alesis M1 MkII Monitors...

My suggestion is that if you have a small space / Any monitor would work...
However, In my travels searching for a new set of monitors I've heard that if you're mixing in a small space you won't need a large speaker for the bass... 6.5" woofer or less should do the trick for your space...

I still love the PS5's they were great for me...
But, I find that I get a better bass response from the M1's (The speaker is larger)...

One last suggestion - I'm an old schooler and suggest that you get a pair of monitors that have as flat a repsonse as possible... The M1's ARE a great choice... And if you want a true representation of your mix - don't bother with monitors that have all the bass and treble controls on them... That kind of stuff only colors the mix so that it sounds nice in your studio... You'll find if you're not keen on how that affects your mix - Your tunes will sound great in the studio but terrible on regular radios and systems in "the real world"...

You may as well go purchase a nice pretty set of speakers from the local stereo store then... I think using a pair of "true" monitors (ie: no "Spacial" controls), and "teaching yourself" the feel of your system will utlimately serve you better in the end...

Good Luck...

--------------------

+Quote Post
visualmusic
post Thu 24 Jun 2004, 16:40
Post #13

Rookie

Member No.: 33,201

Hey S1,

As you've already read I have the Alesis speakers. They go for $350 (US), which is well within your budget. My space is just a bit larger than yours, and I think they would work for what you have. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience with other brands so continue to ask around.

I went with the passive monitors, but I suggest getting the active ones if you are limited on space. And you save some money that way.

Good luck.

VM

+Quote Post
simon l
post Thu 24 Jun 2004, 18:28
Post #14

Thanks for your help, I will give them a listen once I have the ££ together

+Quote Post
Jaysee
post Fri 25 Jun 2004, 21:53
Post #15

Member No.: 34,025

Hi there, re choice of monitors.I've read good things about the Tapco S.8's and S.5's, Tapco is the original name of the company Mackie before it became er.......Mackie, something like that anyway! So they have a good quality pedigree. The S.8 would probably be a better choice than the S.5 if you produce hip hop and dance music as they're meant to be very loud and reputedly have a great bass end, but they're pretty large imposing weighty objects to qualify as 'nearfields'! I've got a similar budget to lay out on monitors myself soon and I'm probably going for a pair of the Tapco S.5's.Their strongest competition for my hard earned is the M-Audio studiophile SP Bx8 or SP Bx5, again an 8" and a 5" version but a tad cheaper. They've had great reviews but do offer some degree of being able to "adapt" their performance to suit the room shape of your studio space; which as you point out isnt always a good thing unless you really know your stuff.
You might try downloading the owners manuals from various manufacturers to get some idea of the specs. regards John

+Quote Post
simon l
post Fri 25 Jun 2004, 23:18
Post #16

QUOTE (Jaysee @ Jun 25 2004, 20:53)
Hi there, re choice of monitors.I've read good things about the Tapco S.8's and S.5's, Tapco is the original name of the company Mackie before it became er.......Mackie, something like that anyway! So they have a good quality pedigree. The S.8 would probably be a better choice than the S.5 if you produce hip hop and dance music as they're meant to be very loud and reputedly have a great bass end, but they're pretty large imposing weighty objects to qualify as 'nearfields'! I've got a similar budget to lay out on monitors myself soon and I'm probably going for a pair of the Tapco S.5's.Their strongest competition for my hard earned is the M-Audio studiophile SP Bx8 or SP Bx5, again an 8" and a 5" version but a tad cheaper. They've had great reviews but do offer some degree of being able to "adapt" their performance to suit the room shape of your studio space; which as you point out isnt always a good thing unless you really know your stuff.
You might try downloading the owners manuals from various manufacturers to get some idea of the specs. regards John

I'll be sure to check them out also....

+Quote Post
flybydaybry
post Mon 26 Jul 2004, 20:16
Post #17

Member No.: 47,138

I would put a word in for the Genelec 1029's. You should find second hand for less than £400. You can add the Subwoofer when you can afford it, and when you get a bigger room...

+Quote Post
scoutdavis
post Thu 4 Nov 2004, 17:35
Post #18

Member No.: 51,940

Rookie - are those the Alesis Monitor One MK2 Studio monitors that you just upgraded to? If it makes any difference - I'm recording with MBox and doing vocal over recorded CD (karaoke) for my demo cd and trying to buy a set of studio monitors to work with my powerbook. Also, stupid question - do I have to buy some sort of sound card to hook the monitors up to the recording system/Powerbook? Or do they get hooked up to the MBox?

+Quote Post
scoutdavis
post Thu 4 Nov 2004, 21:38
Post #19

Member No.: 51,940

oops that last post was for Riverdog. I'm new to this forum and saw the word Rookie on the left. Hence the goofoff. Please forgive.

+Quote Post
visualmusic
post Fri 5 Nov 2004, 16:44
Post #20

Rookie

Member No.: 33,201

Hey SD,

i have the M1 Mk2's and I'm using a Mbox as well. If you get the active monitors (amp built in to speakers) you hook them up to your Mbox via the left and right outputs on the rear of the box. I'm running off a G4 Tit PowerBook. I don't know of any way to output directly from my computer to the monitors, however someone on the list may know how. I'm pretty sure you'll need another piece of hardware though.

VM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 00:41
- © 440 Forums 2011