MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Protools 10 Configuration And Setup?, MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 750Gb 5500rpm 8GbRAM
Peter Hedman
post Tue 21 Feb 2012, 17:45
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 119,943

Hi to ewerybody! ...or anybody? biggrin.gif

I'm new to this site, and NEW to Mac... Upgrading from Pc - Cubase and realy feel like a "newborn" when changing platform... Really appreciate anwers on following topic...

MOBILE STUDIO:

Protools 10 and Native Instruments Komplete 8 to run on Macbook pro 17" 2.2Ghz 5500rpm 750GB HD 8GbRAM with Thunderbolt LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt 240GB SSD

How do i configure the mac and how/where to install the software for best performance... "plug and play" or demanding work to get this optimal?
Change internal HD to SSD also?

(MOTU 828mkII firewire 800/400 + Apogee DUO USB2 Yamaha MSP5a monitoring++)

Greetings from Norway!

This post has been edited by Peter Hedman: Tue 21 Feb 2012, 17:50
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Wed 22 Feb 2012, 16:40
Post #2

Member No.: 88,124

hi peter.
the applications should/must be installed on the internal drive, but sample content from Komplete, and large protools projects will run best on a fast external drive.
i've got two external drives, one for samples, streaming virtual instruments, and one for linear audio tracks. it's possible that the thunderbolt speed makes two separate drives unnecessary.
i've got no experience with the SSD drives, can't speak to that.
you've got a powerful set up there, enjoy!

QUOTE (Peter Hedman @ Tue 21 Feb 2012, 09:45) *

I'm new to this site, and NEW to Mac... Upgrading from Pc - Cubase and realy feel like a "newborn" when changing platform... Really appreciate anwers on following topic...

MOBILE STUDIO:

Protools 10 and Native Instruments Komplete 8 to run on Macbook pro 17" 2.2Ghz 5500rpm 750GB HD 8GbRAM with Thunderbolt LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt 240GB SSD

How do i configure the mac and how/where to install the software for best performance... "plug and play" or demanding work to get this optimal?

Greetings from Norway!

+Quote Post
Audios
post Thu 23 Feb 2012, 14:04
Post #3

Member No.: 117,560

Peter-

I made the leap nearly 15 years ago and very happy i did. The complete intuitiveness of MACs way outshines any PC or PC-clone running a windows based platform. Latency is the biggest issue for MACs however and when recording live bands or vocals, it is a problem. I primarily work in MIDI and in pre-recorded dialog for score and sound design, so it wasn't as big an issue for me in my studio.

Now, you say "mobile studio" in your post. So i assume that to mean you will be recording live players, etc. This is fine as what i would call a "live to tape" session where the 2-mix from a console is what you are recording. But if you plan on doing overdubs of vocals and other parts, you may have a problem with this rig. But you can take any Protools session to a studio facility and load it up on a PC based system and you're in. Either that or go to a studio where they have at least an 8-core Intel MAC with 16-32GB of RAM. Then latency isn't much of an issue. I recently upgraded from a G5 to an Intel 8-coe with 32 GB RAM and it screams fast in comparison. I can record in lower buffer settings now (126-512) and latency is pretty much gone. But with the MAC Book Pro, not sure there.

I also have been using the MOTU 828 MK II for over 6 years now and it treats me great. But you say you want to load ProTools and use the 828 as your A/D-D/A to the MAC? right? Unfortunately this won't work. ProTools must run on proprietary hardware. The HD version will work, but others like M-Powered or the Digi I/O Must be installed and run on ProTools hardware.I run ProTools MP 9.x here along side MOTU Digital Performer, which is my DAW of choice over Protools. The only reason I installed Protools was to be able to import PT sessions and then immediately convert them to DP for workflow.

You might want to shop around a little before committing to ProTools and the hardware. I have also recently loaded a DAW called REAPER.

Reaper DAW home page

This is a great package and very much like Protools in its architecture. But for $60 and will run on the MAC (32-bit for now) and thru the 828 easily.

Good luck on you pursuit of MACs and recording. It is an elegant machine for sure.

Peace-
JIM

This post has been edited by Audios: Thu 23 Feb 2012, 14:06

+Quote Post
Peter Hedman
post Fri 24 Feb 2012, 19:24
Post #4

Member No.: 119,943

QUOTE (houstonmusic @ Wed 22 Feb 2012, 16:40) *
hi peter.
the applications should/must be installed on the internal drive, but sample content from Komplete, and large protools projects will run best on a fast external drive.
i've got two external drives, one for samples, streaming virtual instruments, and one for linear audio tracks. it's possible that the thunderbolt speed makes two separate drives unnecessary.
i've got no experience with the SSD drives, can't speak to that.
you've got a powerful set up there, enjoy!

QUOTE (Peter Hedman @ Tue 21 Feb 2012, 09:45) *

MOBILE STUDIO:

Greetings from Norway!

Thankyou for all the reply's Appreciate it a lot! ...first test is going to bee in a week as a test session...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 13:56
- © MacMusic 1997-2008