MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logic 5.4 Os X & Tascam 428 W/ Esx24, I want one - is it good?
Mugwomp
post Mon 4 Nov 2002, 09:49
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,980

I'm really interested in the Tascam 428 to use as my audio interface / controller but I'm wondering how well USB is for audio.

*Will USB bandwith affect the playability of ESX24 instruments?

*Can I plug my MIDI instruments into the extra channels and run them through for recording on mixdown?

*Does the scroll wheel work well?

*Are the OS X drivers solid?

THANKS for any help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matmac
post Thu 7 Nov 2002, 11:09
Post #2

Member No.: 5,154

Hi

I briefly tried a 428 with my iMac in OS 9.2.2 and Logic 5.1.3. The control surface is not directly supported in Logic which limited the effectiveness a bit. I believe there are environments around to get around this on the Tascam site, but I sent it back as I too was worried about USB bandwidth which I think is around 12Mbps. CD qual (44.1 KHz) 24bit audio stereo needs about 4 Mbps by my calculations. Also the USB is needed to handle MIDI which can use up a bit with continuous controllers etc so I decided to bite the bullet and pay extra for firewire with a MOTU 828 (which hasnt arrived yet!).

Nice looking bit of gear though.

Regards

Matthew

+Quote Post
ryosode
post Tue 19 Nov 2002, 19:40
Post #3

Member No.: 2,270

I am interested in the issue as well. I heard that US-428's OS X driver is solid and some guy was getting 2 ms latency. If all this is true and the driver is properly functional under Jaguar, I might jump on US-428 as well. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 22 May 2024, 04:49
- © 440 Forums 2011