MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logic Pro Extras
haveaniceday
post Wed 1 Sep 2010, 03:57
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 115,075

Hi, I've just made the move from PC to a Macbook Pro. I'm looking to make music, so I have just installed Logic Pro 9, and I have bought a USB keyboard.

I'm hoping to record Vocals (my fiance) and guitar and Bass etc.

What would I need to buy to facilitate this? Would I need some sort of interface? And if so what is the least I could spend?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mididiot
post Wed 1 Sep 2010, 15:23
Post #2

Member No.: 9,211

QUOTE (haveaniceday @ Wed 1 Sep 2010, 02:57) *
Hi, I've just made the move from PC to a Macbook Pro. I'm looking to make music, so I have just installed Logic Pro 9, and I have bought a USB keyboard.

What would I need to buy to facilitate this? Would I need some sort of interface? And if so what is the least I could spend?

Thanks

Get a firewire or usb audio interface. M-Audio has reasonble pricing. A simple Phonic Firefly 202 can be purchased for $99.00 with 2 inputs, L/R outputs and a headphone amp. There are just too many interfaces to list. I would get one with at least 1 XLR input with a mic preamp with phantom power and a 1/4" input.
Best of luck and happy recording.

+Quote Post
haveaniceday
post Wed 1 Sep 2010, 16:02
Post #3

Member No.: 115,075

QUOTE (mididiot @ Wed 1 Sep 2010, 15:23) *
QUOTE (haveaniceday @ Wed 1 Sep 2010, 02:57) *

Thanks

Get a firewire or usb audio interface. M-Audio has reasonble pricing. A simple Phonic Firefly 202 can be purchased for $99.00 with 2 inputs, L/R outputs and a headphone amp. There are just too many interfaces to list. I would get one with at least 1 XLR input with a mic preamp with phantom power and a 1/4" input.
Best of luck and happy recording.

Thanks for the reply. Could you recommend a cheap interface with 1 XLR input, a mic pre amp with phantom power and a a 1/4 input? I presume the Phonic Firefly that you mentioned does not have all this?

+Quote Post
airforceguitar
post Sat 11 Sep 2010, 03:09
Post #4

Member No.: 64,049

The “least” you cud spend is nothing, because the built-in audio inputs and mic actually work in a pinch! I would get a cheap condenser mic and an interface with at least one mic input (XLR) with Phantom power for the condenser. USB 2.0 interfaces with these things could probably be had for about $100, and $80 for the mic. Almost all interfaces work with Apples Core Audio these days! smile.gif

+Quote Post
ckb
post Sun 12 Sep 2010, 13:52
Post #5

Member No.: 105,571

QUOTE (haveaniceday @ Wed 1 Sep 2010, 09:02) *
Thanks for the reply. Could you recommend a cheap interface with 1 XLR input, a mic pre amp with phantom power and a a 1/4 input? I presume the Phonic Firefly that you mentioned does not have all this?

Hey, Nice Day:

Have you considered the Apogee One? They have excellent videos on their site about it in use. In a device roughly the size of an iPod, you get:
  • a condenser mic tuned by Bob Clearmountain
  • a USB audio interface
  • tight integration with both Logic and GarageBand, including ability (I'm pretty sure, based on what people have described on LogicProHelp.com) to map the One's knob to control functions in Logic/GB. Since it's just one knob, I figure you would use it for Automation Quick Access (see "Using Automation Quick Access" in your Logic manual), which takes one controller that you specify and has it control whatever parameter is selected in the Arrange window.

I know I sound like a salesperson for it, but I'm not. I saw it demo'd live last year and ever since, it's been my response to anyone just starting out. I teach basics of computer music production at a university, so every semester I have students asking the same question you're asking, and this is my current answer.

The demo I saw was at a conference, and their sales rep had the GB project file for the song -- so I solo'd each track and listened. I was especially impressed by the drum recording, which was done using the One's built-in mic.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one.php

+Quote Post
ronineko
post Sun 12 Sep 2010, 17:29
Post #6

Member No.: 99,096

Blue, Audio-Technica, SE, Shure, and a few others are making decent quality USB powered mics for a range of prices. Mic and interface all in one. Some are geared for podcasting but some are USB versions of regular condensers. Shop around. Ultimately, you'll probably get an interface so you might start there but you'll still need the mic. Some USB mics work both platforms (XLR output also).
There are so many options it's boggling but if you establish your goals, both immediate and future, you can find what you need.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 16 Apr 2024, 19:13
- © MacMusic 1997-2008