MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Presonus Firebox Vs. Tascam Us-122
tmadar
post Thu 5 Jan 2006, 18:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,846

So I am am just getting setup with a Mac Mini (M9687LL/B) and want to do a bit of recording. I picked up a Eridol PCR-M1 and a Shure SM58 to record with. Now I am trying to decide what to get for an interface. I have narrowed it down to these two:
PreSonus Firebox or Tascam US-122.
I am leaning towards the Firebox, as it seems to have gotten better reviews (plus firewire vs USB1), but it is $100 more and I have heard that the Firebox Mic Pre does not have enough gain to work well with the SM58. Anybody using a setup like this. Seems pretty basic, but I just can't figure out which way to go.

Thanks in advace for any suggestions.

Todd

This post has been edited by tmadar: Thu 5 Jan 2006, 18:15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fixler
post Thu 5 Jan 2006, 20:24
Post #2

Member No.: 67,725

I have the US-122. Here's what I think:

-- The mic inputs sound pretty good. All my mics use power, so I can't comment on the SM58

-- Direct monitoring is really useful

-- Effect insert is useful

-- The RCA audio outputs are noisy. I use them to connect monitors to, and it's OK for normal listening levels, but if you like it LOUD the output gets really hissy.

-- Drivers are OK, a bit flakey, once in a while the US-122 disappears from the Mac's perspective, and I have unplug-replug it. Also, once in a while the sample rate settings get hosed and to make audio sound proper again you have to change the settings a few times, and then everything resyncs. Tascam tech support is completely non-existent.

+Quote Post
johnnyboy
post Fri 6 Jan 2006, 06:37
Post #3

Member No.: 71,205

I have the presonus firebox, I had the us-122 but sent it back, I didn't like it's inablilty to do multitracking and the fact that it doesnt have it's own powersource. If those things dont matter to you, you might want to consider the us-122, it is a good piece for the price. I paid about $100 more for the firebox and felt it was worth the upgrade.

+Quote Post
MrModern
post Fri 6 Jan 2006, 20:04
Post #4

Member No.: 56,937

Hi, Todd,

I'm interested as to why you chose the PCR-M1 as opposed to one of the other small 25key comtrollers from the likes of Evolution or Alesis. I've been thinking of picking up one of these myself, but am wondering if there may be better options. I'd definitely like to hear of your experiences with it, what you like and/or dislike, its keyboard action, how well it functions as a controller and for which programs, etc.

Thanks,
'
Dave

+Quote Post
Bobby Bell
post Fri 6 Jan 2006, 20:27
Post #5

Member No.: 68,828

The 122s are in a word terrible.

+Quote Post
tmadar
post Fri 6 Jan 2006, 21:22
Post #6

Member No.: 74,846

I'm interested as to why you chose the PCR-M1 as opposed to one of the other small 25key comtrollers from the likes of Evolution or Alesis.

MrModern,

Not quite sure why I chose the M1, except that it looks preety sleek (low profile). It's under 3 pounds, and I travel a bit for work, so I figured it would be a good option to take with me on trips. The PCR-M30's and 50's, looked cool and got great reviews for their price point, so I figured this was a good option as a simple portable starter. I am not a keyboard player either, so 25 keys don't bother me (much). I would like to get a Korg Kontrol49 or one of the new ReMOTE LE 49, if I really start to get into this more seriously in the future, but I figured this was a good starter that I could still use while traveling in the the future.

On the other topic, it sounds like most people would opt for the Powerbox? Nobody has any problems with the SM58 not getting enough oopf from it?

Todd

+Quote Post
miaba
post Tue 17 Jan 2006, 17:15
Post #7

Rookie

Member No.: 71,372

check out my post under"why is my mic so quit". i like the firebox but it doen't give the sm58 enough "oumph".

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 28 Apr 2024, 06:34
- © MacMusic 1997-2008