MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help: Need A Sound Editor And Cut Out "silences", Help: Need a sound editor and cut out silences
sdpinc
post Mon 8 Jun 2009, 01:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 94,321

OK so here is a odd question for you all that I am hoping someone might know. I am working on a project editing large talk radio shows and web casts audio files. They are all voice recordings spanning 20 to 30 mins long of a host, and a few guests talking back and forth, like any other radio show. These shows were recorded live onto one sound file. I have been asked by a friend to take each of these sound files, open them up using a sound editor and cut out the "silences" in the conversations. You know the pauses between speakers, the semi dramatic pauses and so on. If for a non profit charity connected with health care, so they are trying to archive all of these broadcasts, but to have them play much more effectively making a 20 min segment into say a 15 min.

Not sure if I am explaining it right or not. Basically I'm looking for a program (for the Mac) that I can open a large sound file, (aiff / wav / mp3) then have it automatically look for "silence" of a certain duration and then automatically remove it from the entire sound file that I can then go ahead and save on the FTP for future people in need.

Any help would be appreciate as this would save a TREMENDOUS amount of time and effort.
sdpinc@comcast.net

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Tue 9 Jun 2009, 06:26
Post #2

Member No.: 11,156

hey sdpinc,

If you have a newer Mac you should have GarageBand as a default installation (iLife suite). While it is not designed for this, you can use it to effectively edit recorded files and then export them. While it is not automatic, it is definitely a worth while choice for a sound editor.

Good luck.

deacon

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
rynn
post Tue 9 Jun 2009, 06:28
Post #3

Member No.: 81,603

Free http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac
Trial 14 days http://www.bias-inc.com/downloads/freeTrials/
wink.gif

+Quote Post
lunar 1
post Tue 9 Jun 2009, 09:16
Post #4

Member No.: 52,800

Don't know of any plugins or stuff that's free, but both Logic and Adobe Audition have 'strip' or 'delete' silence functions that should work. And I'd be amazed if Protools didn't have something along these lines as well. Plus there's always 'time-stretching' (used to shorten, of course)... I'd caution though, it's quite easy to make your recordings a real chore to understand: Have you ever really listened those high-speed disclaimers at the end of sleazy commercials? Unless these interviews are with folks from the Slow Talkers Of America, whacking out 5 minutes from 20 may be a tad optimistic. -G'luck

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Tue 9 Jun 2009, 17:00
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

I remember that PT definitely does have a strip silence function. On my PC, Sound Forge had a detect silence function as well. You may want to look up Audacity on Google, as their beta version may offer a function not unlike what you are looking for as well.

www.reverbnation.com/mortalengines

+Quote Post
blackface
post Tue 9 Jun 2009, 18:00
Post #6

Member No.: 102,528

HEY BRO ...DONT WORRY
YOU JUST NEED A "GATE" TO DO THIS

ITS CALL NOISE GATE.

PEOPLE USE THIS USUALLY FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE ....FOR KICK DRUM ( FOR LEAKS) OR VOCAL
OR WATHEVER YOU NEED IT 4

NOISE GATE

GOOD LUCK

BLACKFACE

+Quote Post
davemoser
post Wed 10 Jun 2009, 01:44
Post #7

Member No.: 105,900

QUOTE (sdpinc @ Sun 7 Jun 2009, 19:08) *
OK so here is a odd question for you all that I am hoping someone might know. I am working on a project editing large talk radio shows and web casts audio files. They are all voice recordings spanning 20 to 30 mins long of a host, and a few guests talking back and forth, like any other radio show. These shows were recorded live onto one sound file. I have been asked by a friend to take each of these sound files, open them up using a sound editor and cut out the "silences" in the conversations. You know the pauses between speakers, the semi dramatic pauses and so on. If for a non profit charity connected with health care, so they are trying to archive all of these broadcasts, but to have them play much more effectively making a 20 min segment into say a 15 min.

Not sure if I am explaining it right or not. Basically I'm looking for a program (for the Mac) that I can open a large sound file, (aiff / wav / mp3) then have it automatically look for "silence" of a certain duration and then automatically remove it from the entire sound file that I can then go ahead and save on the FTP for future people in need.

Any help would be appreciate as this would save a TREMENDOUS amount of time and effort.
sdpinc@comcast.net

I use the Bias LE program to do exactly this chore. I bring in the sound file and view the wave for the gaps, click and drag over the dead spot, hit delete, on to the next. I leave a second or so to make the pause sound natural. This is also a good time to change the gain when someone is too close or off mic. Or delete the spot when the mic is bumped.

Not automatic, but it doesn't take too long.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 15:21
- © MacMusic 1997-2008