MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Few Questions About Midi
Belligerent Ente...
post Wed 19 Mar 2008, 19:32
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,681

I just introduced myself to MIDI and I'm stumped. Now I have a pretty good idea of what I may need to be successful but I was wondering if one of you could possibly help me.

What I'm trying to do is transfer data from my keyboard to the software I use on my computer.

My set up is this: Keyboard > MIDI cables > MIDI Interface > Recording Software

Now my question is, do I need anything else to be successful? I've read about MIDI controllers, would I need that to get my data in sync to appear on my software?

i.e: Keyboard > MIDI cables > MIDI Controller > MIDI Interface > Recording Software?

If someone could possibly walk me through this it would be greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have one other question. I have MIDI examples that open up in my recording software. How do I actually listen to the data or is it even possible?

Thank you!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Thu 20 Mar 2008, 05:48
Post #2

Member No.: 11,156

Hey B.E.,

Well that's a pretty loaded question set.

More info, please...

What kind of keyboard are you using? If it is able to send MIDI data, then you may be able to use it as a controller.

What kind of MIDI interface? What is the connection method to your PC? If it is passing MIDI data to and from the computer interface, then it should be fine.

What kind of recording software? You may need to configure your MIDI setup in that software to be able to actually "see" the keyboard and/or controller as a connected device.

You may also need to enable a software instrument or MIDI track to be able to capture the MIDI data being sent by your MIDI interface.

Same series of questions go for your being able to listen to MIDI songs in your recording software. Assign voices or patches to the track, enable it to play, etc.

peace.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
Belligerent Ente...
post Fri 21 Mar 2008, 22:23
Post #3

My setup is...

Roland x6 > Linked by MIDI Monster Cables > Presonus FireBox > Reason 4

Now my Roland has a USB port which could be used for MIDI, do you think if I bought a MIDI USB cable it would make a difference?

+Quote Post
Guitardaddy
post Sat 22 Mar 2008, 11:07
Post #4

Member No.: 36,837

QUOTE (Belligerent Entertainment @ Fri 21 Mar 2008, 21:23) *
My setup is...

Roland x6 > Linked by MIDI Monster Cables > Presonus FireBox > Reason 4

Now my Roland has a USB port which could be used for MIDI, do you think if I bought a MIDI USB cable it would make a difference?

Yes a MIDI USB cable will do the trick but surely the MIDI from the firebox should be recognised by your computer
regards

This post has been edited by Guitardaddy: Sat 22 Mar 2008, 11:08

+Quote Post
Belligerent Ente...
post Mon 24 Mar 2008, 03:40
Post #5

Ok I got the MIDI USB and I can record sounds, but only when I pull up racks.

The problem is I use a ROLAND x6 and I don't needs these racks. When I try to import songs I've finished on the Roland into the mixer in Reason there is no sound but, the tracks show up as I record thru MIDI. I also cannot hear sound if I just run it thru the mixer in Reason.

When I open a rack in Reason and then record the track over again it works and I can hear sound. The problem is the rack processes it thru the synthesizer and distorts the song I've made on the Roland.

Is there any way to record the whole song without using any racks so I can edit my song in Reason. All I need to do is find out a way to record the tracks the way they were originally made. If this doesn't make sense I'll try to explain it a different way.

Thank you for all the help so far; it is very much appreciated.

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Mon 24 Mar 2008, 23:12
Post #6

Member No.: 11,156

B.E.,

The sounds you are recording would need to be either 'captured' via the MIDI score you play and then selecting the preferred sound in your racks/banks OR captured as an audio recording by taking your line out/headphone out of your x6 to an audio track in your recording software. MIDI is just the musical 'data', not the waveform. The MIDI allows you to either control parameters in your MIDI software or record a sequence of MIDI data which can then be played back using a voice in your software library.

Clear as mud?

peace.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Welcome Guest
Contribute
Lo-Fi Version - Thu 18 Apr 2024, 11:52
- © PcMusic 1997-2007