MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Multi-Track Recording Software For Newbies, Simple, effective, inexpensive, for OS X
Which would be your choice for the best multi-track recording program for the beginning home studio user?
Which would be your choice for the best multi-track recording program for the beginning home studio user?
Jasmine OS X 1.7.4 [ 1 ] ** [2.50%]
Metro 6 SE [ 13 ] ** [32.50%]
Intuem 2.1 [ 3 ] ** [7.50%]
Tracktion 1.5 [ 23 ] ** [57.50%]
Total Votes: 138
Guests cannot vote 
lucky13
post Tue 9 Aug 2005, 22:48
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,584

Righty heres a question for you all. Garageband comes with a load of cool effects, this i know and am loving. Does Tracktion2 come with any cool sounding built in effects? its just i want something abit more powerful than garageband but keeping the effects and the inexpensiveness. Any ideas?
Thanks

Rory
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MacAudioGuy
post Tue 16 Aug 2005, 16:41
Post #42

Member No.: 12,229

Tracktion ships with quite a few VST Effects and Instruments and can use any VST plug-ins. Check out the Sofware section to see just how many free VST effects are out there.
So effects shouldn't be a problem.
Personally, I find Tracktion supposedly "intuitive" interface, highly unintuitive, especially with regard to project manament.
My vote would go to Cubase SE as the Best Multi-Track Recording Software For Newbies.
$99 and generous upgrade policy plus a familiar interface make it my choice.

--------------------
user posted image
Jay Shaffer
Mac Audio Guy
Author of "The MacAddict Guide to Making Music with GarageBand"
mag@jayshaffer.com
http://macaudioguy.com/

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Tue 4 Oct 2005, 03:47
Post #43

Member No.: 32,387

Tracktion is now up to version 2. It has a lot of extra features and still maintains its single window interface. Check out www.mackie.com for information about it, links to reviews on it, and a video preview of the program (cheesy, but comical *L*). You can also download a demo of the program. Perhaps it is time this poll is updated with a new slate of choices which includes Garageband 2 as well. My trouble is that I need a new machine capable or running these programs *L*. My old iMac 600 MHz is looking long in the tooth. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Uncle Kvetch
post Sun 13 Nov 2005, 15:55
Post #44

Member No.: 72,417

Here's yet another possibility to add to the mix: I'm in the process of withdrawing from grad school, and while I still have access to the educational discount I can get LogicPro Express at a very deep discount: namely, $99 US as opposed to $299. My questions: (1) is this starting too much at the "deep end" for a total novice--should I be starting with something simpler like GarageBand? And (2) I have a first-generation eMac: 700 MHz G4, 256 MB RAM. Am I likely to choke my machine by attempting to run LogicPro Express on it?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Tue 15 Nov 2005, 03:30
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

At first I thought, "99bucks is 200 saved." However, you will need at least a gig of Ram to use Logic Express - go to Apples Web site & check other requirements- Heck, Garage Band may even require more than what you got. My impression is at least an 800mhz processer is needed to do any audio program justice. I'd get Logic & maybe concentrate on getting a faster computer.

This post has been edited by mortalengines: Tue 15 Nov 2005, 03:32

+Quote Post
Uncle Kvetch
post Tue 15 Nov 2005, 15:40
Post #46

Member No.: 72,417

I fear you're right, mortalengines--and given that I won't be in a position to buy a new computer anytime soon, I'll probably have to let that amazing price go. I'll probably just get GarageBand and get my feet wet that way.

Thanks for the reply.

+Quote Post
Bubowski
post Thu 17 Nov 2005, 00:50
Post #47

Member No.: 69,157

For anyone interested in the LogicExpress v. Garageband debate...I would throw my hat to LE any day. The primary reason is in how LE handles audio overhead. I have heard that they use the same core audio engine, however, I am able to have MANY more tracks running in LE without choking the processor than I can in GB2. For instance, I am able to run the "Jupiter" demo file from Jam Pack 4 without any tracks frozen in LE. In GB2 it barely works with just a few tracks unfrozen. Also the load times for some of the Symphony Orchestra sounds take forever to load in GB whereas they take about half the time in LE.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 17 Nov 2005, 14:06
Post #48

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Logic makes a much more intelligent use of the available CPU power. GB is a CPU hog inn regard to its possibilities. unsure.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Sat 24 Dec 2005, 23:02
Post #49

Member No.: 32,387

I see that Intuem has gone to version 3.5 and has cleaned up some of the bugs and such that previous versions have had. They have a 30 day free tryout of the program and it is $79.95 US. It seems interesting and I've just started to try it out. It says it works on OS 10.2.8 and higher and a 600 MHz G3 Mac (which is what I have!) but encourages users to try it out on their machine first before buying. Not being a multi-track recording pro, I do not know if it is missing any significant features. It seems pretty complete to me, even down to converting midi to audio and printing out notation with lyrics! If anyone else has any experience in this area, feel free to comment. So far, I like it.

+Quote Post
S.F.Selecta
post Sun 25 Dec 2005, 03:31
Post #50

Member No.: 71,676

If u want a great DAW just go with Ardour (its free but u should really make a donation) or if u want Audacity is a amazing program. After i started using those programs i cant even see why you would go with any comercial software, but i guess some ppl just think since its commercial its better.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 15:01
- © MacMusic 1997-2008