MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are good, cheap Monitors, Alesis anyone, Monitors
post Fri 5 Oct 2001, 23:50
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

I am setting up a home based recording studio. I need to get some cost effective monitors. We are going to be using a Motu 828, and eventually will be mixing surround, so we'll need 5 monitors, thus the reason for cost effective, we can't pay $1000 for each.

To start out though, we will be doing some voice over work as well as some vocals, and making an album or two.

Any thoughts on what might be a good monitor? What about the Alesis MKII active, they are $450 a pair, and are Bi-amped? Any one use them, are they any good?

What else would you recommend?

Also, if I move on to surround mixing, can I use the Alesis as the two rears, and get three more that are matched for the front, left and right. Or do all 5 need to be matched? How important is it that all 5 are matched?

Thanks for the help and suggestions,

Greg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Mon 15 Oct 2001, 05:47
Post #2

Group:

I don't know about the 'matching' of Alesis monitors, in pairs or otherwise. But I'm getting a pair of the Monitor One Actives because I've used them and like 'em. Just like anything else you have to get accustomed to their sound.

My question for you: Where have you seen the MkII actives for $450/pair? I've seen the originals for $400/pair including shipping but the best price I've seen on the MkII actives is $500 including shipping.

+Quote Post
post Mon 15 Oct 2001, 22:02
Post #3

Group:

Seems like it was www.bhphoto.com, they seem to have the best prices on about everything.

+Quote Post
post Tue 16 Oct 2001, 02:05
Post #4

Group:

I checked and they were $470 + $30 shipping at bh-photo.com and I had already seen them for $500 including shipping at zzounds.com. I've never purchased from either so I wouldn't know which is best.

Seems like if you had to return them zzounds would be better...you wouldn't lose the shipping charge!

+Quote Post
DigitMus
post Mon 5 Nov 2001, 08:34
Post #5

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 658

You might also want to look into Yorkville monitors. I don't know model #s, or who carries them, but I've heard a lot of good things about them (especially from Canadians). I do own a Yorkville keyboard amp - which rocks. Apparently they participated in a government speaker research project, and are able to sell at a good (cheap) price for the quality, since the R&D was subsidized.

Scott

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 05:46
- © 440 Forums 2011