MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Basic recording system with Free Pro Tools
post Wed 27 Mar 2002, 22:15
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

I am just starting out trying to get a basic, inexpensive recording system on my G3 Mac. I am running OS 8.6, 350 mHz, 256 megs of RAM. I have a Yamaha CD burner with Adaptec Toast software. I just want to record some voice and guitar. I have been told to get a Shure SM57 microphone and plug it directly into my CPU, then use the Free Pro Tools software. Does this sound right? Should I get a mixer or will the free Pro Tools work okay by itself? Any advice anyone can offer would be most appreciated!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
geedoubleyou
post Thu 28 Mar 2002, 00:22
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,293

I would suggest a mixer, you can find adapters but the connectors on the motherboard aren't made for that type of stress.

The SM57 is more of a live performance mike than, a recording mike. Some people do use them to close mike guitar amps. I would reccomend a condensor mike for a fuller frequency response.

You get what you pay for with Pro Tools free. I rarely use it, and then only to process a stereo track.

It's a good place to start, and for learning purposes. But for serious work you would want an audio interface. Pro Tools free forces you to record through the internal hardware. Supposedly you can use 3rd party cards for output, but it's always crashed my system.

But eventually you will want more tracks, features, and will buy an audio/midi app. Check out the software section of harmonycentral .com for demos

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
post Thu 28 Mar 2002, 16:59
Post #3

Group:
Member No.: 0

A condenser would be the best choice, but then you need phantom power to get it working.

Here's a decent $300 set up:

Behringer makes a 6 channel mixer with phantom power that you can get for $70. Several major manufacturers make good $200 condenser mics. Add mic stand, cable and other wires and connectors.

You can route your G3 sound out to the mixer (say channels 5 & 6). You can input the mic on 1. The mixer has a mono aux send from channel 1 that you can route to your G3 (on the left side of a stereo connection). Now you have a zero latency monitoring situation with your mixer if you mute the channel (in Pro Tools FREE) you're recording on.

Cheap and effective.

+Quote Post
Presto
post Fri 5 Apr 2002, 13:25
Post #4

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,984

Got sold a Sure SM58 when I asked for a mic that would handle sounds up to 20KHz for a home studio. I thought if I insisted on 20KHz the sales person wouldn't sell me less, but when I got home I read the specs - at 10KHz it zooms down and disappears at 15KHZ.

With Protools Free and no extra hardware, I think you are stuck at 16bit recording (OS9 sound manager) so you don't need a 10,OOO€ mic, but you can get something more appropriate than the SM57 (which everyone says is great for stage performance). Its true the good mics require phantom power but some will accept a simple AA battery.

Try the Microphone University at www.dpamicrophones.com for understanding the specs (DPA push omnis - maybe they are right). There are loads of mics at www.fullcompass.com where you can download the catalogue - I just did, and am still struggling.

Best of luck!!

PS the shop took the SM58 back in exchange for a pair of Beyer DT250 phones (and a few euros more) - wow :-)).

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post
Presto
post Fri 5 Apr 2002, 13:46
Post #5

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,984

You may be restricted to the same minijack as I have on the G3 ibook. I understand its for Plaintalk mics and is non standard. The Griffin Imic usb/audio  adapter is cheap and will give you standard 3.5mm minijack I/O. Minijacks are not considered up to professional standards, but I don't think you could break the female socket soldering on the imic. I tried the imic with the SM58 and a 7 metre stage cable (!!), and got annoying humming when testing it with Recordit (comes with Iomega Zip software). I have a feeling the humming was not the fault of the imic. Anybody know?

Bon courage!

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 10:10
- © MacMusic 1997-2008