MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firepod, Mackie Onyx 400f, Motu Ultralite
transientattack
post Thu 20 Apr 2006, 06:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 59,756

i use a mac, a powerbook (non-intel) and i'm about to buy an interface. which one is the best choice? they're all around the same price. i want stable, reliable, really low latency for using softsynths, good support (for future drivers etc..).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fevil
post Tue 10 Oct 2006, 21:30
Post #2

Member No.: 84,027

Hi transient. I came here looking for some advice in the same matter. I've just got a macbook (intel), in my way to swiching from a multitrack HD based home studio to a portable computer DAW, and i'm deciding werther to work with Logic or ProTools. Logic is winning the race so far, but I'm still kind of lost in the interface hunt. Those names you put in there are at the top of the list, especially the onyx 400f and the motu 828mk2 or the 896HD. I have no Idea of how good is the onyx 400f in getting well along with logic pro but i've heard the unit has had many issues on it's own and, since I've been told the converters and pres in the onyx are far better than those of the 828 or 896... well, you know, the reliability of motu vs the better sound of mackie onyx. I hope we both get help from the guys out there.
best regards.

+Quote Post
edge100
post Wed 11 Oct 2006, 00:37
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 43,617

QUOTE (Fevil @ Tue 10 Oct 2006, 20:30) *
Hi transient. I came here looking for some advice in the same matter. I've just got a macbook (intel), in my way to swiching from a multitrack HD based home studio to a portable computer DAW, and i'm deciding werther to work with Logic or ProTools. Logic is winning the race so far, but I'm still kind of lost in the interface hunt. Those names you put in there are at the top of the list, especially the onyx 400f and the motu 828mk2 or the 896HD. I have no Idea of how good is the onyx 400f in getting well along with logic pro but i've heard the unit has had many issues on it's own and, since I've been told the converters and pres in the onyx are far better than those of the 828 or 896... well, you know, the reliability of motu vs the better sound of mackie onyx. I hope we both get help from the guys out there.
best regards.

At that price point, reliability beats a small (but admittedly real) increase in quality. MOTU makes reliable stuff that just works. The 400F is a bit flaky, according to multiple sources (although I'm sure there are a lot of good units too).

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 11 Oct 2006, 02:11
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

I'd add Presonus stuff and Metric Halo Mobile I/O wink.gif

Presonus has had oly software issues they usually cure fast, converters and pre are very good. Metric halo is very good stuff, they cured a long time ago their youth troubles. MOTU 828 family seems to have bad batches around unfortunately, the troubles are 99% of the time curable by resetting the unit on the mk2, but not all. Now MOTU is doing its job well into caring of the defective units (in MOTU slowness wink.gif The 896 has none of these problems. I have no opinion on the Mackie stuff, still to touch one and not a lot of feedback already in my environment.

If you plan Pro Tools, the 002 is worth a look.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 13:53
- © MacMusic 1997-2008