MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Of These 3 Preamps?
SadPandas
post Sun 24 Jan 2010, 07:23
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,616

Hi gang,

I am in market for a new preamp for my 8 core. I have been using the firebox here at the house but would like to use that with the macbook and put something in it's place. With artist pricing both the Presonus Fire Studio Project and the Focusrite Pro 40 come out to be about the same. I also just found a 'slightly used' Motu 828MK3 for around $499.00. The 1st 2 are a lot less 'expensive' but i am a little nervous about the 828 being open boxed, etc.

My uses are recording guitar, bass and vocals into logic 9 here while we record drums at our practice space using a digi02 and a symtec. These are just for demos but IF we get a once in a life time take i would like to be able to use the track for the 'real' recording. My firebox has treated me well and i even scored a couple of national (super bowl) commercials using it believe it or not. luck was on my side wink.gif. I was just thinking with my new Logic set up I might as well get a newer pre amp to go along with it. I know many of you have super extreme studios with lots of gear but i would like an all in one sort of ad/da preamp to make things nice and easy. So, my question to you good people is; which of the 3 above mentioned products would you purchase if you were in the market?

Thanks for taking the time to read this... im a little spun from a full day recording so i apologize if i have left anything out.

love,
pandas

--------------------
*2 x 2.8 Quad MacPro, 6Gb ram, 512vram, Logic 9
*2 x 2.0 G5, Everything else.... These lists bum everyone out... ;(
*Power Book 1.67, 2Gb ram, 128vram, 100hd, PodXtPro, Firebox, Logic 8, Live 7."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ironhead
post Mon 25 Jan 2010, 08:16
Post #2

Member No.: 62,788

QUOTE (SadPandas @ Sun 24 Jan 2010, 06:23) *
Hi gang,

I am in market for a new preamp for my 8 core. I have been using the firebox here at the house but would like to use that with the macbook and put something in it's place. With artist pricing both the Presonus Fire Studio Project and the Focusrite Pro 40 come out to be about the same. I also just found a 'slightly used' Motu 828MK3 for around $499.00. The 1st 2 are a lot less 'expensive' but i am a little nervous about the 828 being open boxed, etc.

My uses are recording guitar, bass and vocals into logic 9 here while we record drums at our practice space using a digi02 and a symtec. These are just for demos but IF we get a once in a life time take i would like to be able to use the track for the 'real' recording. My firebox has treated me well and i even scored a couple of national (super bowl) commercials using it believe it or not. luck was on my side wink.gif. I was just thinking with my new Logic set up I might as well get a newer pre amp to go along with it. I know many of you have super extreme studios with lots of gear but i would like an all in one sort of ad/da preamp to make things nice and easy. So, my question to you good people is; which of the 3 above mentioned products would you purchase if you were in the market?

Thanks for taking the time to read this... im a little spun from a full day recording so i apologize if i have left anything out.

love,
pandas

ok all these above mention audio interface are very good choices but for the price and performance i would go with the focusrite saffire it's in the same price range as the Presonus Fire Studio even though presonus is good also but the motu is a little more expensive the saffire and the motu both has on board dsp for mixing with compressor and eq without using your computer dsp (but hey you have a 8 core who cares) you may also want to look at this product The Yamaha 01X ( it's been around for awhile now though)its an interface and controller , you name it but i don't know if it is compatible with LP 9 and snow leopard. A great piece of advice to you since your are going to record bass and vocal ang guitar you may want the best preamp for recording quality you may want to spend most of your money on a dedicated preamp to get the best sound in with a good inexpensive audio interface or go to your music store near you and test the audio interfaces to see which one has the best pre for recording quality especially vocals
I hope this help

+Quote Post
SadPandas
post Tue 26 Jan 2010, 03:58
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 66,616

[/quote]
ok all these above mention audio interface are very good choices but for the price and performance i would go with the focusrite saffire it's in the same price range as the Presonus Fire Studio even though presonus is good also but the motu is a little more expensive the saffire and the motu both has on board dsp for mixing with compressor and eq without using your computer dsp (but hey you have a 8 core who cares) you may also want to look at this product The Yamaha 01X ( it's been around for awhile now though)its an interface and controller , you name it but i don't know if it is compatible with LP 9 and snow leopard. A great piece of advice to you since your are going to record bass and vocal ang guitar you may want the best preamp for recording quality you may want to spend most of your money on a dedicated preamp to get the best sound in with a good inexpensive audio interface or go to your music store near you and test the audio interfaces to see which one has the best pre for recording quality especially vocals
I hope this help
[/quote]

Thanks so much for the input! I was thinking of maybe even 'uping' it to the Motu with the DSP card. I could use part of the preproduction budget and i am sure $1000 bucks could be spent in better ways but I am thinking with the extremely beefy system i have right now i should try a DSP card unit. I think its the Motu 2408. If i decide that the extra $450 for this unit just isnt worth it i will def go with the Saffire Pro. I talked to my rep over at Presonus and he was talking about the new 16x6 Presonus Tube. Have you seen this beast yet?

p

Ahh yes! i thought you brought this up in your last post. I also am a little worried about purchasing a new unit with Logic and Snow Leopard both 'going' 64 bit. I am wondering what problems i might encounter using an 'older' unit while using Logic 9 64 bit.

--------------------
*2 x 2.8 Quad MacPro, 6Gb ram, 512vram, Logic 9
*2 x 2.0 G5, Everything else.... These lists bum everyone out... ;(
*Power Book 1.67, 2Gb ram, 128vram, 100hd, PodXtPro, Firebox, Logic 8, Live 7."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 20:48
- © 440 Forums 2011