MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mic Pre's, Mic pre in addition to M-audio FW 410
redstrype
post Thu 1 Jun 2006, 23:09
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 79,359

To anyone who has an M-audio FW 410, how do you all think the internal mic preamp stands up? Do you think adding another one will beef up some sounds? My friend pushes a Digi 002, and the vocals we waxed on his rig, just crush the ones i do on my FW 410, part of that is he's a better mixer, i'm just wondering how much of it is the gear and how much of it is the ear.....should I get another preamp?
Any thoughts would be great

Thanks all
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edge100
post Fri 2 Jun 2006, 16:50
Post #2

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,617

QUOTE (redstrype @ Thu 1 Jun 2006, 22:09) *
To anyone who has an M-audio FW 410, how do you all think the internal mic preamp stands up? Do you think adding another one will beef up some sounds? My friend pushes a Digi 002, and the vocals we waxed on his rig, just crush the ones i do on my FW 410, part of that is he's a better mixer, i'm just wondering how much of it is the gear and how much of it is the ear.....should I get another preamp?
Any thoughts would be great

Thanks all

The pres in these units will amplify mic level signals, and convert them to line level. They will also supply 48V phantom power to condenser mics.

That's about all you can say about them. I am of the opinion that in the low-mid range (and yes, the 002 IS in this category, despite the exorbinant price Digi charges for it), the pres are pretty much all the same. Presonus makes PERHAPS a little better pre, but nothing too huge.

Your FW410 should be adequate to make a decent product. It is no worse than the 002.

BUT....

I still think you should get a new pre, if you can. The FMR Really Nice Preamp would be a good first stand-alone pre. Two channels for a very reasonable price. Also check out the DAV BG-1, which is better still, and for not much more $$$. The UA Solo 610 also looks very sweet, for under a grand.

The BG-1 is the best deal going today on a preamp. Google "DAV BG-1" for info.

A nice preamp makes even a so-so mic shine. A nice converter WITH a nice preamp and a so-so mic is even better. Add a great mic, and you're golden.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 20:01
- © 440 Forums 2011