MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keep It Simple
gregaber
post Sun 21 Dec 2003, 12:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,563

Looking to record and burn CDs of myself playing grand piano, classical music. Want to have good results but not spend a fortune.

Piano is in my home. Just bought 12" Powerbook. Considering Griffin iMic or Powerwave. Thinking of Microphone to Mixer to iMic/Powerwave to Powerbook. Have CD Spin Doctor from Toast Titanium package.

Not a professional so don't need professional results but don't want to waste my time either getting crap results.

Any suggestions? Am I on the right track?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Mon 22 Dec 2003, 16:01
Post #2

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

I think the iMic might really annoy you after a short while. You can get a perfectly decent USB audio device from, say, Edirol or Tascam, for only a little more and the sound quality would be much improved. Otherwise, your set-up/approach seems adequate for what you want to do.

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Mon 22 Dec 2003, 16:51
Post #3

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

yeah... stay away form imic... seen too many people getting frustrated with them and ended up buying another interface instead

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
gregaber
post Mon 22 Dec 2003, 18:36
Post #4

Member No.: 31,563

Thanks for the good advice. Bought an Edirol UA20 at the Apple Store and am getting great results [from the equipment; now I need to practice for about 3 months!].

By the way, the box that the UA20 comes in only says it is compatible up to OS9; they have an OS X driver available on their website [Panther compliant as well].

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Tue 23 Dec 2003, 00:57
Post #5

Maniac Member

good... glad to hear you got things going

I am sure that was just old packaging made before their OSX drivers were out cool.gif

This post has been edited by Synthetic: Tue 23 Dec 2003, 00:57

--------------------

+Quote Post
dmrkh
post Wed 31 Dec 2003, 22:46
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 25,829

Synthetic, where were you when I was wasting my money?

I've gone from imic to powerwave to revolution 7.1 to a Formac Studio TVR! I'll stay here since inputting video is inherent in my dream "job" (dj/vj). The rev will find its uses, but that Griffin crap with its everglowing bluelight in the basement motif is headed for my little bro.

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Thu 1 Jan 2004, 00:44
Post #7

Maniac Member

QUOTE (dmrkh @ Dec 31 2003, 15:46)
Synthetic, where were you when I was wasting my money?

I've gone from imic to powerwave to revolution 7.1 to a Formac Studio TVR! I'll stay here since inputting video is inherent in my dream "job" (dj/vj). The rev will find its uses, but that Griffin crap with its everglowing bluelight in the basement motif is headed for my little bro.

umm.... let's see.... where was I? dunno but I am sure if I had seen a thread that said "imic - good or not" or similar I would have tried to advise against though tongue.gif

the idea of the VJ thing really interests me too since I am professional visual artist and music is just my hobby wink.gif one of the coolest things I had ever seen was a 2 man multimedia band based in Califonia I think... it was a white haired older guy and younger man. They did some really wild live multimedia performances with really bizarre but interesting music in sync with 2 projectors that flashed words and imagery... was really entertaining and wish I could remember name of the band. I seen it on a music DVD featuring indie and less know artist. They said they were able to make enough off their music and shows to do their music full time which to me is just awesome cool.gif

I would like to get a digital projector to run off my laptop and maybe use something like Arkos for doing a show with my own music but they start at about $2000 dollars though rolleyes.gif Maybe one year when I quit buying music gear, computger gear, and motorcycle equipment biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Thu 1 Jan 2004, 00:57
Post #8

Maniac Member

in hindsight... I think I was kinda lucky with my music spending over the years. When I started... there were not near as many options available so I decided to use ProTools and get a Digi001 since I knew the first VAST album (great creative production) was done with ProTools and one man. I love that darn tihng (Digi001)... I bought a ESI 2.6 to use with my laptop but didn't like the RCA jacks... the USB connectors (sloppy) and idn't use it as much as I thought so I sold it after a fw months. A Korg Electribe, the ESI, and a EMU cheap sampler were my purchasing mistakes luckily I was able to sell them and maybe lost a little under $100 on each of the 3.

The EMU sampler agrivated me to no end because it wasn't mac friendly and time consuming to setup. It sounded actually fairly nice (full and punchy) sound. However this was not same case with the Korg Electribe... it was fun to play with and you create some amazing sounds using its fx and automation but sound was thin (12bit I think). I found myself using my CS6X synth more than Electribe for most work so I sold them. I almost wish I had kept Electribe though because I think if I could run it into my Presonous Blue Tube & Max... it would have sounded great but didn't have those processors at the time wink.gif

sorry... I tend to ramble sometimes biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Synthetic: Thu 1 Jan 2004, 00:58

--------------------

+Quote Post
dmrkh
post Fri 2 Jan 2004, 01:58
Post #9

Rookie

Member No.: 25,829

For years I simply didn't purchase anything cuz I thought I was already TOO ignorant in not knowing anything except how to play my bass. "Since the computer world has already passed me by I'll just stay out of it altogether."

Now that I've gotten over myself here i be, knowing that if Stephen Hawking can compute- I have NO excuse rolleyes.gif !

Anyhoo, if you've got a mid '70s vcr (let alone a betamax), run all the awesome visual stuff in the world via rca/s-video cables into the tvr thingie via firewire (be sure to incl. your turntable with stuff you don't even Want to download/look for online or anywhere but yer ancient lp collection); add liberal doses of FCP/Arkaos, sequence to your hearts content, rollover to Live365, simulcast the video over a seperate feed and send me a post so I can "Join in the Chant"!

mark

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 28 Sep 2024, 12:20
- © MacMusic 1997-2008