MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> have you seen this recorder?
post Wed 13 Mar 2002, 19:08
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

I have in mind a dream digital recording device.  Can anyone tell me if it, or something close, exists... or am I really just dreaming?

I would like a *simple* digital recording box that offers 8 simultaneously recordable tracks (will settle for 6 if i must), with good inputs (XLR best or quality 1/4 inch) and no frills.  No EQ is necessary, though aux sends would be welcomed, and it should have some sort of level meters, maybe playback for checking purposes.  No mixing, mastering or post-mastering abilities required - this should keep prices down.

The machine's use would be simple: to bring it to a remote location and record 8 separate tracks.  One might for instance compress a given track during a take by means of an aux bus.  But other than that, the recorder is simply preserving 8 tracks of a song.  You only need set level and trim.

Then you take the recorder and/or some sort of disc home and digitally transfer the tracks to your DAW, maybe by means of FireWire.  Now in your DAW, you treat with plug-ins and mix and what-not.  I mean, why should the owner of a killer home DAW require one of these expen$ive digital recorders with frills like cd-burning, mic-modeling and midi sound libraries if he just wants to record a band simply?

Attention in such a machine would be to the inserts, to a clean signal chain, to file type (.wav and .aiff) and to ease of digital transfer to a computer.

So tell me folks, have you seen this recorder?  Or am I just going to have to buy an iMac/MOTU896 bundle and lug that around?  :(

Yours,
bladderskate
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Thu 4 Apr 2002, 17:11
Post #2

Group:
Member No.: 0

Motu 896 and iBook. What, with 8 mic inputs, could be smaller than that?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 15:13
- © 440 Forums 2011