MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Osx On Pc
japanarian
post Sun 28 Aug 2005, 19:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,943

I'm currently a PC user considering the switch to Mac. Not sure if it's just a filthy rumour, but I've heard that OSX will be available for PC users soon. If this is true, would there be any reason to still make the switch? I'm curious to know what you guys and gals think.

The J.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coldharbour
post Sun 28 Aug 2005, 20:42
Post #2

Member No.: 62,351

Apple has stated that it will not make OS X available for PC machines, nor will it make it possible to run OS X on any non-Apple machines. DRM technology will be used to prevent that.

But sure, DRM can possible be cracked, and there's a cracked version of the developer version that was given out to software developers toghether with the "Mactel" developer machine at WWDC, but the crack is a curiosity only - don't expect programs running properly (or at all) or to get any updates or support. To put it short - if you want to do something useful with OS X you will need to get an Apple computer.

+Quote Post
Mr12AX7
post Mon 29 Aug 2005, 14:50
Post #3

Member No.: 68,266

Hello out there,
The more likely scenerio is that the new Intel processor Macs will also be able to run Windows XP - without too much tweeking. So perhaps switching should be delayed until the new Macs are out there. You might then be able to use much of your windows programs under XP while getting introduced to the Mac side.

+Quote Post
beyaRecords
post Sat 3 Sep 2005, 08:42
Post #4

Member No.: 20,901

Well.....

1. http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page or

2. http://www.xplodenet.com/blog/ or

3. http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t360086.html

Hold onto you PCs boys..... and that's from an Apple user!!

+Quote Post
japanarian
post Sun 4 Sep 2005, 20:49
Post #5

Hey guys. Thanks for your comments. Much appreciate your time. I am pretty happy with the apps I'm using on WinXP, but I'm not married to them. My reason for thinking about the switch is due to Mac's reputation in music as well as other media fields(I do graphic work too). Now that I can afford to start building a bigger and more elaborate studio(and road) set-up, I'm thinking I should decide on what to have as my central piece: Mac or PC?

Is Mac's reputation due to the machine or the OS?...and if both then how much of each?

The J.

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Mon 5 Sep 2005, 15:39
Post #6

Member No.: 11,156

Hey the J,

The Macs reputation is due to the OS primarily, but also to the hardware. Since Apple specs and produces both, there are no driver issues nor incompatibilities with the different pieces working well together. The OS provides the best and most easily used interface tied directly to the hardware via the HID layer.

When the Mac switches to an Intel processor, it will still be a Mac. The processor does not make the machine. So, it is not the same as putting OS X on an Acer or a Dell, etc. as those machines can still be hindered by the various components used to build them (the modem, the sound card, the PCI bus, etc.).

Being that this is the Mac Music forum, I will admit to being biased. However, I have used and built both Macs and PCs (access to a few dead Macs can yeild some impressive results) and after years of the MS rebuild (format and reinstall) on various machines due to driver issues I have sold every PC I ever had and gone 100% Mac in our house. From my 6 year old son to my app/web server and everything in between with no real issues to support nor recover from.

PCs are great machines and there are simply some things you can't run on a Mac (some developers don't have either the time, the skill set or the desire to port their apps over) but from an ease of use and maintenance aspect, the Mac wins (IMHO).

If you have no pressing need to jump to the Mac yet, then hang on to your current set up. If your current machine has grown long enough in the tooth that replacing it is inevitable and you have the extra scratch to buy a new G5 (for a Pro Level Audio set up) and the OS Apps you'll need to run on it, then I'd recommend switching over. Or if you just have some extra cash handy, buy a used late model Mac with OS X and "test drive"it to see if it fits you.

Hope that helps out. Sorry for a long winded response and hope it didn't drive more questions than it answered.

peace,
deacon

This post has been edited by deaconblue: Mon 5 Sep 2005, 15:41

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
Mr12AX7
post Mon 5 Sep 2005, 16:57
Post #7

Member No.: 68,266

Hi The J.

That is good advice from deacon. A move right now might be a little more confusing due to the changes upcoming on the Mac side but if you feel it's time to move I wouldn't hestitate.

One point that is rarely made, even when the higher perceived prices for mac hardware is put forth, is that statistics show that the long term cost of owning a Mac is lower, due mainly to the generally higher quality design and build of their products. I am still using a 1992 Mac for control of home lighting, print serving to a laser printer and word processing when my other Macs are busy with video rendering and editing.

It can only get better,

Mr12AX7

+Quote Post
japanarian
post Mon 5 Sep 2005, 19:16
Post #8

Awesome. No need for apologies DB. Questions are always good. As Trinity says, "...it's the QUESTION that drives us Neo..."

Well, it sounds like you guys are familiar with both platforms. And I don't mind the "long-winded" response. The longer the better wink.gif I have both desktop and laptop which I can still squeeze another year or two out of I suppose. But I figure I should switch sooner than later. I suspect I'll be switching many of my apps along with the platform change. I'd like to work towards building my ideal setup(whatever it may end up being), both hardware and software. I would love to have both a G5 at home and a PowerBook for the road, but that's a lotta cash. So I'm thinking of just starting with the PowerBook for now. Any thoughts on how I will be limited with a PowerBook as opposed to having a G5?

AX7: good point. I'm all for that. I've heard that in general, there's less pissing around with macs than with PCs. Less time trying to get thinks to work, and more time for doing your thing. Would you guys say that's a fair statement?

The J.

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Tue 6 Sep 2005, 13:55
Post #9

Member No.: 11,156

Glad to be of help.

;-)

Yeah, I have both a G5 for my studio and a PowerBook for my 'remote' sessions. I have not had any issues with either as a platform for recording music. Selling all my Wintel hardware gave me a good net gain to reinvest in my Macs. Also, no "time to format" or the GPF blue screens to deal with. The G5 is more flexible (PCI bus, AGP bus, more drives and drive options, etc) but the PowerBook works extremely well.

The only "drawback" to using the PowerBook as your work station is that you are "limited" to Firewire or USB as your interface. Right now, my trio is recording our scratch ideas on a PB G4 1.33Ghz machine using the MOTU 828MkII without issue. If you go the PowerBook route, max out your RAM (2GB) either when you purchase or after the sale (http://www.memoryx.com/ is a great source of high quality RAM at lower prices) and get at least the 80GB HDD and the ComboDrive (CD-RW/DVD) or the SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R) if you want to archive or burn DVDs.

I have used both Logic and DP4.5 on the PB and had great results to date.

Good luck with the decision making. Personally, I think you'd enjoy using the Mac as you would spend more time creating rather than troubleshooting.

peace,
deacon

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
japanarian
post Sat 24 Sep 2005, 01:32
Post #10

Hey everyone. Thanks for all of your help. I've decided on a powerbook with the LogicPro7 package, loaded with RAM, & Focusrite Saffire. My next addition will be some speakers, probably studio monitors if I can afford them. Thanks again, and see you in the threads!

The J.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 12:04
- © MacMusic 1997-2008