MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Systems Folder?, How to free up memory...
deaconblue
post Tue 27 May 2008, 04:00
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,156

If you open your hard drive in list mode (detailed view), click on the edit menu, select "View Options", make sure that the check box for "Calculate All Sizes" is enabled. Then look at the folders listed. It will show you the relative size of all folders in the hard drive. If you then use the disclosure triangles, you will see what all the sub-folder sizes are as well. You can then sort by size (click on the "Size" column header at the top of the window) and you should be able to begin to isolate where your large file/folder size is hiding.

If I look at my hard drive, the Applications folder is about 10.35GB, but my library folder (where all my sounds, plug ins, Application Support files, etc., are stored) is 101.1GB. If you have a few plug ins installed, depending on what they are, they can take up quite a bit of room. By comparison, my System folder is only 3.5 GB in size.

Hope this helps narrow it down a bit for you.

Peace.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alreed
post Thu 26 Jun 2008, 06:01
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 98,951

If anyone's interested still, I solved it... as a 'super-user'. If anyone else ever has this problem then read this:

I downloaded WhatSize, then...

1. Launched Terminal and typed sudo followed by a space.
2. Ctrl clicked on the freshly installed WhatSize application, and chose Show Package Contents.
3. Opened the Contents/MacOS folder within, and found the WhatSize unix executable file.
4. Dragged that file onto the Terminal window, and from within that window, pressed enter.
5. Entered admin password.

This way I could open WhatSize as usual, but with superuser privileges and could read every directory on the hard drive I asked it to measure.

WhatSize is freeware for up to 20GB of memory b4 you have to pay for a small license fee - so its good to know where to look - for me it was the Systems folder. My problem was 8GB of Trashes under Volumes in there. Because I'd been running Cubase through my external drive, the System had somehow still kept the trashes on the internal drive...

Thanks to everyone for all the advice though!

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 30 Jun 2008, 22:26
Post #23

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Citation (alreed @ jeu 26 jun 2008, 06:01) *
My problem was 8GB of Trashes under Volumes in there. Because I'd been running Cubase through my external drive, the System had somehow still kept the trashes on the internal drive...
Strange, trashes are disk specific, you don't move the files to your system drive before deleting them…

I think you met some bug in Cubase and it did not trash poperly some temporary files along the way… AGood to know!

Which version of cubase have you used lately on which version(s) of the system? It may help others.

Thanks for coming back and light up our lantern, this is something new your cubase trash thing.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 18:22
- © MacMusic 1997-2008