MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logic Pro 9 32 Bit? 64 ?
zam
post Tue 12 Jan 2010, 21:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88,656

Hello ,
I ve just installed the upgrade from logic pro 8 to logic pro 9 , and in the same time i ve upgraded my OSX to snow leopard .
I thought that now logic will be in 32 bit , but when i load sample in 32 bit , nothing ??
When i go in the preference / audio and try to set the resolution ( i ve live ableton and the 32 bit work fine) , only 24 bit can be activated .
My question is , it is normal to have this system set like this , on my screen when i start the soft , it display logic pro 9.0.1 ( 32 bit) , so the soft start in 32 bit , how can be sure that the soft is in 32 bit , and if i want to increase to 64 bit , what is the operation to do.
Thanks a lot , in advance for your answer
by by

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kayj_prod
post Thu 14 Jan 2010, 08:10
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 99,001

This issue is coming up in a lot of forums right now as if suddenly the opportunity to use 64 bit has woken everybody up to higher res recording.

Most people don't have recording equipment chains clean enough to warrant use of 24bit let alone the kind of accuracy that 32bit or 64bit would give... Or the terrabytes of hard disk space needed for even a basic multi-track recording.

I still record in 16bit at home as I know my equipment chain would be wasting the extra 8bits recording at 24. In the studio, or for classical work, it's 24 all the way.

+Quote Post
cz101
post Thu 14 Jan 2010, 23:06
Post #3

Member No.: 112,460

QUOTE (kayj_prod @ Thu 14 Jan 2010, 08:10) *
This issue is coming up in a lot of forums right now as if suddenly the opportunity to use 64 bit has woken everybody up to higher res recording.

Most people don't have recording equipment chains clean enough to warrant use of 24bit let alone the kind of accuracy that 32bit or 64bit would give... Or the terrabytes of hard disk space needed for even a basic multi-track recording.

I still record in 16bit at home as I know my equipment chain would be wasting the extra 8bits recording at 24. In the studio, or for classical work, it's 24 all the way.

While I understand what you're getting at - "64-bit" DAW environments are not really aimed at increasing the bit word-length of audio files as we record them or play them back (unless we're talking about 32-bit float, which I can see eventually becoming a more widely used/distributed format).

Also, one need not have "clean" equipment to benefit from 24-bit. I know what you're speaking about - the increased signal to noise ratio of 24 bit - but I could make a very noisy piece, mixed in such a way that takes advantage of the full 120dB that is more or less the maximum dynamic range that the best analogue circuitry of the best A/D D/A converters today can manage. 16-bit dynamic range is still capped - mathematically - at about 96dB! There are many other reasons to record in 24-bit regardless of the S/N ratio, but that's not what I wanted to address here.

There are three main practical benefits of 64-bit over 32-bit DAW environments (provided that your 64-bit system works and does what you want it to)..

The first benefit, which is the most obvious, is that an application's 4 gig addressable ram limit is lifted. Of course, a system needs the added physical ram to benefit, so everyone with 4 gigs and under of ram (myself included) is excluded from this advantage.

The second, is that many plugins/VI's/virtual FX these days upsample to 64-bit even while operating in 32-bit environments. Take Logic's own "Linear Phase EQ". While running Logic Pro 9.1 in 32-bit mode, for every 32-bit float sample (i.e. one 32-bit byte), Linear Phase EQ transforms this 32-bit "word" or chunk into a 64-bit "word" for added precision in processing before returning the sample to 32-bit form. This upsampling process takes at least 2 processor cycles in a 32-bit DAW. In a full 64-bit (from the ground up) DAW environment, this process will be executed in half the time - 1 cycle, therefore making for greater efficiency in 64-bit float DSP. Some examples of plugins that will benefit from full 64-bit DAW hosts: iZotope, PSP, IK, URS, ArtsAcoustic, etc. Basically, when the kinks in the 64 bit system are ironed out, you will be able to have twice the plugin count of 64-bit plugs as in a 32-bit system.

The third benefit is that today's Intel processors used in Macs are optimized for 64-bit and actually run a wee-bit (no pun intended) faster at 64-bit processes than in 32-bit mode. The speed difference is usually under 5%, but anyone who uses DAWs knows that 5% CPU can mean the difference between having and not having enough horsepower..

Hope this helps..

Paul

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Fri 15 Jan 2010, 06:59
Post #4

Member No.: 88,124

thanks paul.
thoughtful and informative.

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Tue 2 Feb 2010, 15:37
Post #5

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

QUOTE (zam @ Tue 12 Jan 2010, 12:27) *
Hello ,
I ve just installed the upgrade from logic pro 8 to logic pro 9 , and in the same time i ve upgraded my OSX to snow leopard .
I thought that now logic will be in 32 bit , but when i load sample in 32 bit , nothing ??
When i go in the preference / audio and try to set the resolution ( i ve live ableton and the 32 bit work fine) , only 24 bit can be activated .
My question is , it is normal to have this system set like this , on my screen when i start the soft , it display logic pro 9.0.1 ( 32 bit) , so the soft start in 32 bit , how can be sure that the soft is in 32 bit , and if i want to increase to 64 bit , what is the operation to do.
Thanks a lot , in advance for your answer
by by

Do you mean you are trying to play a 32bit file?

Logic doesn't support them except as freeze files, convert them to 24bit.
There will be no loss of audio data, the extra 8bits contain header data, that is used by the app the file is created in.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
manchoa
post Wed 3 Feb 2010, 07:12
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 111,338

You have undersoot dsomething wrong. 32 or 64 bit software depends on Operating system (32 bit OS or 64 bit OS) and this depends of You rmachine CPU. Most computers are 32 bit.
SO most probably Your Mac (and thus your sogtware) is 32 bit (means - built for running on computer with 32 bit CPU)
This has nothing to do with AUDIO BIT DEPTH that you are talking about.
Audio bit depth describes the number of bits of information recorded for each sample. Bit depth directly corresponds to the resolution of each sample in a set of digital audio data.CD quality audio, is 16 bits, and DVD-Audio 24-bit. Most studios record with 24 bit anf for CD they downsample it to 16 bit 44.100kHz

There is no point to use 32 bit audio. First - you have to downsample it to 24 or 16 anyway. Unless you have a 32-bit audio interface (and software), then you will not actually be recording nor playing at that rate. Most audio interaces for semi-prusers don't have 32 bit hardware ! 24 bits cover more than enough dynamic range than we can make use of and most audio interfaces do not have a low enough noise floor to push that to its full potential. recording at 32 bit would have no advantage over 24 bit.

Logic does npt suppert 32 bit audio import or export (nor does the Pro-Tools !) because there is no actual point for that. Just convert your files to 24 bit is what I can Suggest !

Tommy

+Quote Post
kayj_prod
post Wed 3 Feb 2010, 08:34
Post #7

Rookie

Member No.: 99,001

If you look at prefs/resolution if I remember correctly, you are looking at recording resolution. The maximum is 24bit. (It seems strange that Ableton will record in 34bit?!)
The 64 bit referred to in the 9 upgrade is to do with memory allocation and will not increase the dynamic resolution of your audio recordings. Does anyone have 64bit AD convertors?

Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Fri 5 Mar 2010, 15:37
Post #8

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

QUOTE (kayj_prod @ Tue 2 Feb 2010, 23:34) *
If you look at prefs/resolution if I remember correctly, you are looking at recording resolution. The maximum is 24bit. (It seems strange that Ableton will record in 34bit?!)
The 64 bit referred to in the 9 upgrade is to do with memory allocation and will not increase the dynamic resolution of your audio recordings. Does anyone have 64bit AD convertors?

Hope this helps.

Don't think so, there are no 32bit audio interfaces available.

The extra 8bits in a 32bit audio file don't contain any audio data.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 19:38
- © MacMusic 1997-2008