MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> limiting vox in Digital Performer 3?
SirLexelot
post Thu 21 Mar 2002, 22:15
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,950

I just recently completed recording my first full song with vocals on a MOTU 828 using Digital Performer 3, and only one major problem remains: I managed to get the lowest volume of the vocals to be loud enough, but when the singer sings her loudest notes, it's too loud for the rest of the song. Of course I can pull the slider of that track down on the mixer, but then the more quiet words aren't audible. Anyone know what the right filter to run on the audio would be? I already had to run 'MW Compressor' to get the vox loud enough in the first place, I used the 'vocal punch' preset. Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Thu 21 Mar 2002, 23:16
Post #2

Group:
Member No.: 0

Before adding any other plugins, if your highest level is peaking way below the red then use 'Trim' to up the gain some first.

I use the 'Dynamics' plugin, as a compressor, a lot on vocals. It all depends on what kind of song and arrangement you have.

If it's in-your-face loud you can set the attack quicker and the compression high and take all the subtleties out of the performance. If it's a soft guitar or piano vocal, slower attack and lower compression make for a more natural feel.

You WILL probably still have to ride the fader to get the final result you want.

+Quote Post
SirLexelot
post Fri 22 Mar 2002, 20:56
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,950

Hey, wanted to say thanks a whole lot - playing with the dynamics plugin really did the trick! I just set the threshold of its compressor to -8 and the ratio to 4:1, and it worked like a champ! The song's levels now sound great. Granted, the recording quality isn't amazing (my equipment isn't exactly top-notch) but for what it is, it sounds great smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 21 Oct 2024, 00:58
- © MacMusic 1997-2008